Help desperately needed

MrsFlahdeblah

Apr 25, 2022
Hello all. I'm sorry I haven't done anything on here except post this but I desperately need help for my friend. I don't even think I'm posting in the right section but here goes.
My friends husband is 82 and has a long history of physical violence towards her - he has multiple convictions for the harm he has done her and the last conviction was after he almost beat her to death, and I'm not exaggerating.
He has lots of health issues and although not diagnosed, the hospital do suspect vascular dementia.
He was taken into hospital a few weeks ago following my friend calling the police for his violence towards her and because he's well known to the police and they know his health is complicated, they always take him straight to hospital. He came home last week, being deemed fit enough, and was arrested again on Friday for trying to strangle her. He's back in hospital and bed blocking as he doesn't really need to be there.
Everyone from her solicitor to social worker and police are telling my friend she needs to go to a refuge but as she Co owns her home with him, she naturally doesn't see why she should go. She also has two dogs which are all she lives for and shelters wouldn't allow them with her.
So I'm on here in the hope someone will know what her rights are. I used to get such wonderful help here years ago when caring for my dad. She wants him to be properly assessed for dementia, which they seem reluctant to do but then stop him from coming home as she's terrified he will end up killing her. The police say they can't do any more than arrest him each time.
Thank you in advance if you can help with how she can prevent him coming back home.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I don't blame your friend - why should she be the one who has to move out of a home she co-owns?

Difficult one this. What's needed is for her husband to be sectioned and I'm not quite sure why this hasn't happened already. Maybe your friend should be calling out adult mental health as well as the police?

I hope others can offer you (and your friend) some better suggestions.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
could she get an injunction out on him? then he wouldnt be able to go near her. would it be a good idea to chat to womans refuge or domestic violence agencies as they do have outreach workers and they would know about her rights as well. i hope she is telling her gp as well so they can refer to mental health team as well. i dont see why she should leave a home and the dogs have more upheaval

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @MrsFlahdeblah.

What a dreadful situation. I think it might be wise for you to contact the Dementia Connect Support Line and speak to one of the advisers there -