Help ! Dad needs endoscopy he wont have it very ill so stressful

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
The blood test can be requested electronically, all the person has to do is turn up at the hospital appointment. The request will sit on the system until the hospital can schedule it in.
Before covid I had regular 6 monthly tests doing it that way, since covid I request the blood form to be posted to me and then book in at GP, I did one the this way yesterday and emailed hospital for result.
No our drs is different i had to go today to pick one up after writing to dr receptionist opened the letter and said she could print a form off

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Hes now had hes blood test luck would have it that i checked the hospital online booking system again and spare appointment came up yesterday afternoon he did need the forms they wasnt sent by dr electronicy
Still waiting on hospital for details of x ray
Dad stil ill now coughing or sicking up what looks like tea and has lost about 4 pounds in last 3 wks
Ive made a complaint about the hospital as nurse from there insisted i take him in for covid test /endoscopy despite me telling them he needed a separate appointment wasnt mentally or psychically well enough needed a sedative not sure why the nurse was so ignorant to it all
Still didn’t receive a phone appointment and the 2 wk cancer appointment has been n n gone cancelled

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Who or what has cancelled the 2 week cancer consultant appointment?
is that because he wont have the covid test?

Total Impasse

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Who or what has cancelled the 2 week cancer consultant appointment?
is that because he wont have the covid test?

Total Impasse
It was the dr advised to cancel it as he said if your dad is not going to have anything done on that particular day theres no point that he may email the consultant at the hospital
Yes due to covid /endoscopy problems nurse just wanting him there to take a test /endoscopy no sedative hopefully the dr has spoke to the clinic and told them of the situation so hopefully il spk to a educated compassionate ( hopefully) dr who will advise on what else to do on a phone appointment

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Why no sedative. My dad had 4 endoscopies in total and was offered a sedative every time and each time he had no recollection afterwards. I would think it is standard to offer a sedative.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I thought it was standard whichever end they entered!

usually but you do get a choice with endoscopies. i had both ways and sedatives every time. i dont remember much about them as well

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
I have done both without sedation. Indeed when I had colonoscopy the gastroenterologist said he himself would not have sedation.
Doing this procedure on someone with dementia however I think would require something more than the usual level of sedation.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Why no sedative. My dad had 4 endoscopies in total and was offered a sedative every time and each time he had no recollection afterwards. I would think it is standard to offer a sedative.
The letter stated if the patient needs a sedative then separate appointment must he made so im guessing that they dont offer them as bog standard god knows
Not a great hospital i have to say ive not got good to say about it as my mum had her cancer treatment there nurses were horrible then and that was 10 yrs ago and i had a few things done there 15 yrs ago a colonoscopy and nurses woke me up too soon fell over had to leave early and nearly collapsed ?‍♀️

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
The letter stated if the patient needs a sedative then separate appointment must he made so im guessing that they dont offer them as bog standard god knows
Not a great hospital i have to say ive not got good to say about it as my mum had her cancer treatment there nurses were horrible then and that was 10 yrs ago and i had a few things done there 15 yrs ago a colonoscopy and nurses woke me up too soon fell over had to leave early and nearly collapsed ?‍♀️
I've had both ends (!) and was offered sedation at the time of the proceedure, although I chose not to have it. I don't think it's long-acting, so I can't see why it would need a separate appointment. BUT there is no way on earth I would put a PWD through it with out sedation. Endoscopy is highly unpleasant and would be impossible with a wriggling, frightened patient.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I've had both ends (!) and was offered sedation at the time of the proceedure, although I chose not to have it. I don't think it's long-acting, so I can't see why it would need a separate appointment. BUT there is no way on earth I would put a PWD through it with out sedation. Endoscopy is highly unpleasant and would be impossible with a wriggling, frightened patient.
i had the same and they asked me at the time of the appt about sedation. ive had both ends and had sedation for both. it just makes you feel a bit dreamy and floaty. i had to stay there for a bit extra time to be monitored and left. the only thing is that if they fight against the sedation, it might not work with too much adrenaline being produced

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
He finally had it done after 5 weeks of hell
He was
Ok
But needs to go through it all again in 6/8 wks time
He had me n the mental health nurse with him it went ok ish had to plan everything like a miltary operation he got slightly agaited
The endoscopy came bck severe ulcers n hernia could be cancer but because hes gullet in state hes got to go bck in 8 weeks
He was rushed d out immediately after about 20 min by a nurse and never slept she wouldn’t let him very annoyed with the nurse as well he staggered out had to get him home in a taxi he was a dreadful state n top it all off they gave me wrong prescription so had to go back to the hospital the next day n pick up a new one as they gave him omperzole capsules he cannot swallow n tried arguing with me saying he could swallow them i said no im hes carer i give him these tabs hes been on them for 25 yrs he cannot swallowi them anymore i feel ill with all the stress of the past 5 weeks Too n now have flu

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
How's it going?

Have you managed to get it sorted?
Yes he had a endoscopy finally on monday
With sedative
Me n the mental health nurse were both with him hes got to go back in 6/8 wks time has severe gullet ulcers n hernia dr dont know if theres cancer its too ulcerated
See below post thanks

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes he had a endoscopy finally on monday
With sedative
Me n the mental health nurse were both with him hes got to go back in 6/8 wks time has severe gullet ulcers n hernia dr dont know if theres cancer its too ulcerated
See below post thanks
Well @deepetshopboy it's done and you have some sort of result even if it is a little sketchy. When my dad had his first endoscopy and they found the cancer the hospital gave us bags of Ensure milkshakes and fruit drinks to take home in all sorts of flavours. They are very high calorie and my dad put lots of weight back on with them. He would drink 7 or 8 a day at first although one day I remember he drank 12 They were very easy to drink and dad loved them. I tried one once but it was too sweet for me.

They are expensive to buy but after that dad got them on prescription for the next wo years from his doctor. They were worth their weight in gold as far as I was concerned.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Well @deepetshopboy it's done and you have some sort of result even if it is a little sketchy. When my dad had his first endoscopy and they found the cancer the hospital gave us bags of Ensure milkshakes and fruit drinks to take home in all sorts of flavours. They are very high calorie and my dad put lots of weight back on with them. He would drink 7 or 8 a day at first although one day I remember he drank 12 They were very easy to drink and dad loved them. I tried one once but it was too sweet for me.

They are expensive to buy but after that dad got them on prescription for the next wo years from his doctor. They were worth their weight in gold as far as I was concerned.
They sent my dad home without a prescription for omperzole capsules which hes been on for 25 yrs i told them he couldn’t swallow them ! I had to argue with them go go back the next day for melt on tongue ones ( apprently to heal the ulcers )
It was very stressful after as a nurse turned up and was in a great hurry to get the bed back so he was rushed out didn’t get a chance to recover after hes sedative ? had to get taxi back qnd dad had to hold onto railings coming in to hes flat i said to the nurse he needs to recover for at least 30 mins but because he was already awake after the endoscopy she took that as her que to turf him out when I questioned it she said im the nurse i know what im doing he can sleep at home

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@deepetshopboy that sounds awful, We had to wait around for a couple of hours until dad had seen the consultant and then the dietician. I am sorry you and your dad are being treated and I can only think it is because of the covid situation at the moment. I was also given strict instructions on what he could and couldn't eat for a few days but perhaps that was because they found cancer. I also had to stay with him for the next 3 days to make sure that he was okay.

I hope things improve for you both very soon as I know how stressful this all is, especially for you.