Help crisis

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
I'm a bit perplexed @PollyM, are you trying to manage this from a distance -just to clarify your position?

o live about 25 mins away so I am there sometimes but not all the time. I work full time and have an 11 yr old so can’t be there as much as I’d like.

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
Ah now I understand -sorry I didn't want to comment until I knew your situation
I’m sorry probably not making sense atm. I just feel helpless and scared for her and for Them and I don’t know who to get help from or what help there is

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I was thinking is your dad feeling very unsure of what he wants to do in all of this? It must be hard for him to make some decisions here.

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
I was thinking is your dad feeling very unsure of what he wants to do in all of this? It must be hard for him to make some decisions here.

Yes it is hard for him. Very hard. I don’t underestimate that although I probably sounded a bit mean.
It’s just he doesn’t seem to do anything to help himself; then calls me for help when it all goes wrong, like last night: So I do everything I can to help, get the GP involved, talk him through it, explain patiently, advise him what he needs to do and he doesn’t do any of it then will wonder why she loses it again tonight.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Yes it is hard for him. Very hard. I don’t underestimate that although I probably sounded a bit mean.
It’s just he doesn’t seem to do anything to help himself; then calls me for help when it all goes wrong, like last night: So I do everything I can to help, get the GP involved, talk him through it, explain patiently, advise him what he needs to do and he doesn’t do any of it then will wonder why she loses it again tonight.
I think if he rings you ring the out of hours clinical mental health team or 111. This is a reoccurring crisis situation.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

I wonder if he just wants everything to be like it used to be and is accepting when mum is fine, but when it blows up he then can't cope? I think thats understandable in some ways, dealing with changes like this can be overwhelming and its easier sometimes to think that it will all just go away ...what happened was a one off ..so to speak.

I think you are going to have to have a hard conversation with your dad, because although you know this is going to be a continuing problem, I am not sure by what you have written he does. As in letting her pick up her own medicines, thats not going to work unfortuantely, no doubt he means well by your mum, but really he isn't helping although he had good intentions and probably doesn't want anything to change if he can help it.

The lorazepam may help, but it may not. Some people though sedated can still swing into action full on, just to warn you. It may be that you have a quite night, hopefully.

You can't manage these scenarios continuously from a distance and your going to have to broach this with your dad and talk about the way ahead for all of you.

Hoping you have a peaceful night ;)

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
I wonder if he just wants everything to be like it used to be and is accepting when mum is fine, but when it blows up he then can't cope? I think thats understandable in some ways, dealing with changes like this can be overwhelming and its easier sometimes to think that it will all just go away ...what happened was a one off ..so to speak.

I think you are going to have to have a hard conversation with your dad, because although you know this is going to be a continuing problem, I am not sure by what you have written he does. As in letting her pick up her own medicines, thats not going to work unfortuantely, no doubt he means well by your mum, but really he isn't helping although he had good intentions and probably doesn't want anything to change if he can help it.

The lorazepam may help, but it may not. Some people though sedated can still swing into action full on, just to warn you. It may be that you have a quite night, hopefully.

You can't manage these scenarios continuously from a distance and your going to have to broach this with your dad and talk about the way ahead for all of you.

Thank you. You of course are quite right.
It’s not the first time and he knows that. He knows something has to be done. Both me and my sister have been doing our best to talk to him. Now he’s grumpy with me for making him run round after the prescription.
I know it might not work but it’s all we have... I can’t bear to hear the fear I her voice when she terrified there’s a stranger in her house.

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019

Trouble is he still takes everything too personally and gets cross with her when she’s not making sense. She says she’ll do something, we know she won’t because she’ll forget. I find a creative way round it (I need to pop to the shops, I’ll pick it up while I’m there) where he will just say, oh well if she’s going to be like that I’ll let her get on with it.
Then he’s the one that can’t cope later.
Sorry I’m ranting.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Trouble is he still takes everything too personally and gets cross with her when she’s not making sense. She says she’ll do something, we know she won’t because she’ll forget. I find a creative way round it (I need to pop to the shops, I’ll pick it up while I’m there) where he will just say, oh well if she’s going to be like that I’ll let her get on with it.
Then he’s the one that can’t cope later.
Sorry I’m ranting.

I think you need to rant -difficult for you

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
No idea, is that a thing? I want her to have it tonight as I don’t want her to go through the terror again she went through last night
You can get all medication delivered which is easier..Did the Lorazepam get sorted?

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
You can get all medication delivered which is easier..Did the Lorazepam get sorted?
Yes they got it but she is refusing to take it... I haven’t heard anything so I’m hoping that’s a good thing. My partner is not taking all this very well either.

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
I shall look into delivery thank you. It was just this was urgent last minute and doctor had bent over backwards to help

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Yes they got it but she is refusing to take it... I haven’t heard anything so I’m hoping that’s a good thing. My partner is not taking all this very well either.

If things do get difficult dissolve the lorazepam in a small amount of juice/ or water and see if she will drink it.

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
Courious how things went last night, hopefully more peaceful?

hello,
Yes they were thank you. And this morning was better too once she took her tablet, she wasn’t telling dad to move out or that the house wasn’t his. She was instead asking who he was and saying how kind he was being. Big change from last few weeks.
She’s quickly getting much more confused now though, which is hard to watch. Quite a rapid deterioration since December really.
We await memory clinic referral now and hope she doesn’t get too distressed again.

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
Try & make time for yourselves
Xx
Xx
Xx
Thank you. It’s hard not to worry.
I’ve been realising today that my dad has never been a carer in any way. He was away most of the time when we were small. He never had his own parents to look after and he’s the baby of his family. No wonder he doesn’t have a clue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976