Help at short notice

jennypie

Jan 5, 2014
North yorkshire
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but does anyone know if there's any service out there that steps in at short notice for carers who are taken ill for instance. Recently I was poorly have dogs who needed walks I care also for my partner who has Alzheimer's at times couldn't face cooking can't always rely on family or friends would be good to know if there was someone who does this kind of thing you don't always want to put on friends ?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's not nice being ill when you're looking after someone, isn't it? If you are known to social services they could put something in place at short notice. I carry a carers emergency card and if none of my contacts were available, they'd have to jump in, for example if you'd been in an accident and in hospital now. Likewise, I remember Age UK helping me out when I had to work and OH was not allowed in the day centre for two days due to illness. They came for 7 hours a day, gave him food and drink and medication. Or they could just sit with him while you have a nap or even take him plus the dogs out for a walk. Our local Age UK walk dogs! If you are entitled to respite (or self-funding), you could try to put him in a care home for the duration of the illness, but that would depend on short-notice availability.

jennypie

Jan 5, 2014
North yorkshire
Hi Beate
We're not known to social services my oh not needing help from others yet but is reliant on me so hence my question, I just wondered if there was anything I didn't know about as it happened one of my lovely friends cooked us a lovely casserole without asking!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Planning ahead

Jenny, you might consider getting yourselves known to some of the services even though your needs are few at the moment. I spent more than a year saying I was fine and didn't need help and then suddenly I did! Had I taken up the offer to go on the waiting list for day centres etc for my husband he would have been further up the waiting list.

You might also enquire about volunteer and Befriender services. Usually there are interviews and phone calls and weeks go by before all these things kick in and in the meantime you have made contacts and got hold of some names and phone numbers should you need them later.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi Beate
We're not known to social services my oh not needing help from others yet but is reliant on me so hence my question, I just wondered if there was anything I didn't know about as it happened one of my lovely friends cooked us a lovely casserole without asking!

We don't need help either Jennypie but I am known to be a carer and our local council has issued me with a carers card to carry in my wallet. It has a phone number and a case number on it so if I was suddenly taken into hospital or had an accident, I or someone else could ring the number and someone would be with my husband within the hour and stay with him for up to 48 hours until something else could be put in place. I know that doesn't answer what you were asking but it is certainly a bit of reassurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Agree with Trisha and marionq, get known to social services, Alzheimer's society and all the other care organizations in your area. There roles do change and this might be helpful. I made a point so that when anything happened I would be prepared and know who to contact. Most of them run coffee mornings or similar so you can get to know others in a similar position.
Our county runs an emergency scheme which will take over if anything happens to you and / or contact those who may be able to help. In my case, neighbours for a short time, stepdaughter for more serious events.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
To add to what others have said, for your dogs, I would get in touch with local dog-walkers and ask if they could step in when needed so you only have to make a quick phone call when needed.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Snap

Hi Jennypie,

I am glad you have posted as I've just found myself in a similar situation. I don't need any help yet with OH but a couple of weeks ago, pains in my chest made me stop and think what would happen if I was taken ill suddenly. After a visit to the GP, the pains were sorted but it has made me begin to put things in place, should an emergency ever happen.

I agree with Saffie with regard to the dogs. We have a dog and I have now started asking a local dog walker to look after the dog for one day a week. The dog loves it and plays with other dogs all day. It gives us a much needed day together without the dog but most important the dog walker has access to a key and is willing to step in should an emergency occur.

Likes others have suggested, I have contacted SS as we have Peace of Mind 4 Carers in our area. This takes away the 'what if' and replaces it with the reassurance that OH will be cared for, if ever I can't. It will take a while to set up, but I'm going to start now in readiness.

I am also setting up a key safe with the help of Age UK so that the dog walker and SS etc can have access if needed.

If you think of anything else please let me know. :)

JJx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar