Help at home for mother

KitCar

Aug 8, 2015
London
Hello and this is my first post. Can anyone please suggest the best way to find help for my 73 year old mother at home? At this stage we hope the person would not have to live in but saying that she presently takes medicine at 7am, at lunchtime and then lastly at 6pm. I have no idea what we should look for online as this person would need to be able to cope with my mother's Alzheimer's, probably prepare some meals and accompany my mother shopping. Presently she is experiencing a very driven phase where she feels she should be packing and then going to the coach station. She has been missing twice but, fortunately, found by the police on both occasions. We feel she will be very unhappy about having someone "shadow" her - and we are still awaiting social services' recommendations as to what her long-term care plan should be - but it would be useful to have pointers from anyone as to how to go about this search. Many thanks.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.

Have Social Services assessed your Mum? If not ask that she be assessed and from that will come what help she needs and how it will be provided. She will either fund the care herself or the local authority will be paying, all this will be sorted and decided after the assessment.

A carer coming in to help can come in for as little as 15 minutes and in larger chunks of time depending on the needs so the assessment is important.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hello. I asked social services for an assessment in order that I could ask for self directed support ( personalisation ) . I first applied in march 2014 and I'm still waiting, although I have been told by social services that I should get some payment . I couldn't wait that long so employed a personal assistant who has been caring for my mum for over a year . She has been absolutely wonderful and I would recommend this type of care for your mum . Can your mum attend day care ? Mine does and thoroughly enjoys it and her assistant takes her there and picks her up. She also takes her out for drives in the car , coffee etc . I don't know how we survived without her . I advertised for her through a reputable care agency , I got quite a few responses which all sounded excellent . However , I would still recommend that you get a full assessment of your mums needs by social services and then you can see what your options are . Ask that you wish her to be assessed for self directed support . I hope things work out and your mum gets the care she needs . Best wishes .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

sheelz

Sep 1, 2014
Hi Louby. Hope you don't mind me coming into someone else's post but we are in the process of finding someone to come in to my my mum for a couple of hrs daily, I'm not having much luck !! I'm ringing a care agency, the person I need to speak to is not there so I leave my name etc and they don't get back to me !! Can I ask which care agency you advertised for your mums carer, it sounds a better idea. Thanks in advance. She
Ps we decided not to go through SS but Is it better if we contacted them first though ?

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Louby. Hope you don't mind me coming into someone else's post but we are in the process of finding someone to come in to my my mum for a couple of hrs daily, I'm not having much luck !! I'm ringing a care agency, the person I need to speak to is not there so I leave my name etc and they don't get back to me !! Can I ask which care agency you advertised for your mums carer, it sounds a better idea. Thanks in advance. She
Ps we decided not to go through SS but Is it better if we contacted them first though ?

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Sheelz. I don't mind at all you asking me about the agency . Please pm me.You pay an initial fee and type in your post code and what you are looking for . In our case it was elderly care . You can access the profiles of the people and reply to them , but in my case I advertised as I wanted specific care and times . I got a lot of replies . The agency can arrange for disclosures to be done and references ( for a fee) . The person I chose already works in a care home so had her disclosure and I visited the care home and got references . All the people that replied and the ones I interviewed were all good so it was a tough choice to make . It certainly is an excellent option if you choose to take it . Good luck.
Lou

Last edited by a moderator: