Help around Paphos, Cyprus

Status
Not open for further replies.

clivegthompson

Oct 3, 2020
My parents retired to Paphos from the Uk nearly 20 years ago and lived a full and active life until 2 or 3 years ago. My father who is coming up to 85 has recently been diagnosed with Dementia (although I have suspected he has had it for 3 or 4 years)
Mum is really struggling (and stubborn about asking for help) and also being in her 80s is finding it hard to cope with the quite rapid changes in my dad. Being 1000s of miles away is not easy to get them support and I am hoping there is something local and English speaking around Paphos where I can get them some help.
Are there any support groups or care organisations where I could contact to get mum support. If she could get a few hours respite I am sure it would help massively or at least a friendly face to talk to who understands what is happening

hope someone can help

Clive

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
We live in Southern Spain ( which I know isn't Paphos, but bare with me!) Because of the huge ex pat community (mainly retired) there are quite a few groups like Age Care and Age Concern. They arrange clubs and social outings. My dad has joined them all since my mum has gone into care.

You may try to contact a local English speaking magazine. A lot of areas have these and they will know of any groups!

Good luck

xx

XHX

Jul 30, 2022
My parents retired to Paphos from the Uk nearly 20 years ago and lived a full and active life until 2 or 3 years ago. My father who is coming up to 85 has recently been diagnosed with Dementia (although I have suspected he has had it for 3 or 4 years)
Mum is really struggling (and stubborn about asking for help) and also being in her 80s is finding it hard to cope with the quite rapid changes in my dad. Being 1000s of miles away is not easy to get them support and I am hoping there is something local and English speaking around Paphos where I can get them some help.
Are there any support groups or care organisations where I could contact to get mum support. If she could get a few hours respite I am sure it would help massively or at least a friendly face to talk to who understands what is happening

hope someone can help

Clive
Hi Clive we are in the same situation did you find any support please ?

Kind regards

Helen

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @XHX.

I just wanted to note that this is an old thread and that the member you’ve responded to hasn’t been on the forum since 2020.

You might want to think about starting a new thread in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area of the forum -

I’m sure you will get lots of support there.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
This member has a new thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.