HELP! ANY TIPS

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
My husband is physically OK walking but his spatial awareness has taken a sudden decline. In bed last night he woke countless times because he couldn’t keep the whole of his body on the bed. He didn’t fall out, thank goodness, but his legs ended up on the floor with his upper torso and head still on the bed, and he couldn’t reposition himself back on the bed again. I tried to help by lifting his legs but this made him very angry and he kicked out. He seemed almost rigid.
He now needs to be guided around the house as he has no idea where he’s going or how to get there. I’m wondering if the two are connected. Also, he’s not seeing some things in front of him, is having trouble holding a cup handle because he doesn’t know where it is, and often goes to sit next to a chair rather than on it. Going to the loo has turned into a farce as I put him in front of it and he walks away in the opposite direction. I don’t know how to help him as he gets angry when I try to guide him. Any advice would be great please.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @None the Wiser

I would ask for help from Occupational Therapy. It does sound as if your husband is having problems locating what he needs as well as his spatial awareness being affected. It`s sounds as if his eyes are not sending the right messages to his brain.

I would certainly seek medical advice , just in case your husband can be helped in any way.

My husband slept diagonally across the bed and was unable to straighten himself out. He also confused the rooms in our very small bungalow. He would stand at the living room door and not know which way to go.

He also misfired when using the toilet.

Being unable to locate the cup handle is worrying. I`ve not heard of that before.

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
Thanks for your reply Sylvia. I will seek some professional advice. I’m concerned earned that I’m a hinder rather than a help at the moment!

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hello @None the Wiser

I would ask for help from Occupational Therapy. It does sound as if your husband is having problems locating what he needs as well as his spatial awareness being affected. It`s sounds as if his eyes are not sending the right messages to his brain.

I would certainly seek medical advice , just in case your husband can be helped in any way.

My husband slept diagonally across the bed and was unable to straighten himself out. He also confused the rooms in our very small bungalow. He would stand at the living room door and not know which way to go.

He also misfired when using the toilet.

Being unable to locate the cup handle is worrying. I`ve not heard of that before.
I volunteer in a local nursing home and we have various types of cups, with handles and without as difficiulty in finding the handles is quite common!
warmest, Kindred

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
Just a thought, you’ve said it’s happened quite suddenly so worth checking for UTI and or dehydration. The spatial bit, can’t find handles (or guide to mouth) etc happens to my OH just before a UTI becomes obvious. Dehydration has the some of the same effect on him but is fairly easily rectified. Good luck, this dementia’s a ******.

Last edited by a moderator:

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
I volunteer in a local nursing home and we have various types of cups, with handles and without as difficiulty in finding the handles is quite common!
warmest, Kindred
Thanks @kindred. I’ll look online. Hope there’s something that looks ‘ordinary’ as opposed to ‘special’ as he doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with him, and perversely can notice these things!

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
Just a thought, you’ve said it’s happened quite suddenly so worth checking for UTI and or dehydration. The spatial bit, can’t find handles (or guide to mouth) etc happens to my OH just before a UTI becomes obvious. Dehydration has the some of the same effect on him but is fairly easily rectified. Good luck, this dementia’s a ******.
You’re right @LizzieM he may be dehydrated in this heat. I give him lots to drink but he often has two sips and forgets he’s got it.Thanks for your help.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does he have LBD? Because these sort of spacial awareness problems are typical of LBD..
I agree with Sylvia - an OT assessment could be beneficial.

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
Does he have LBD? Because these sort of spacial awareness problems are typical of LBD..
I agree with Sylvia - an OT assessment could be beneficial.
He’s been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s but I have wondered from time to time if he has mixed dementia. I’ll request an OT assessment. Thanks for your thoughts.