Help. Any respite care available?

mark20

Jul 1, 2020
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can advise on care / support that is still attainable in the UK?

My Dad has dementia and my Mum (in her 70s) is at home caring for him. He's got pretty bad and she has no support. I live overseas with my family and while I'm trying to get back asap, it's hard right now to support her. Her biggest problem is that he is up throughout the night, refusing to go back to bed - she's got severe sleep deprivation and I'm scared of the toll it's taking on her, and what might happen next.

Any advice on options? It doesn't have to be through the NHS.

Thanks so much.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum @mark20. Sleep deprivation takes a horrible toll and makes caring for your own needs hard enough without having someone else to worry about.
Has your mum spoken to adult social services? She is entitled to a carers assessment and your dad is entitled to a care needs assessment. They can help with anything from respite to daily carer support. The Alz Soc has a dementia connect service who can help and advise https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/dementiaconnect.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @mark20 . If there is a long delay getting help from social services, you may find that a local care agency could provide a night sitter to give your mum some respite. It may be useful as temporary relief.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @mark20, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your Dad it must be very difficult for your Mum - what you have described is not uncommon and I expect Mum is close to carer burnout and needs that respite support, and probably some ongoing care support too. As @nae sporran has helpfully laid out Mum needs to contact the Local Authority responsible for Social Services (normally the County Council) explaining that she is in a crisis situation (as outlined above). Will you (Mum and Dad) be self-funding (i.e. assets over £23k)? If so, you can arrange your own care support - either respite in a care home pr as @lemonbalm suggests a night support service. Do you or Mum have Power of Attorney to act on behalf of Dad?

mark20

Jul 1, 2020
Thank you all very much! I believe she will be arranging her own support. I'm pretty sure she has power of attorney

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
I believe she will be arranging her own support
Hi @mark20, if that is the case you could do some research for Mum perhaps of care homes that offer respite care for those with dementia, and perhaps see what the availability is. I think they will need to undertake an assessment - they will advise on how they will do that. It sounds as though she needs some breathing space to assess the future care needs.

mark20

Jul 1, 2020
Thanks everyone! We've already started researching homes and respite care. Very grateful for your advice.