Help and support in Spain?

suedavies608

Jun 13, 2007
Northants
My parents live in Spain and my mum has recently been diagnosed with dementia.

She has not been walking for 6 mths and has just had a knee relacement op.

My dad is now trying to cope with day to day care and also trying to get her up and walking again.

He cares for her 24/7, rarely complaining, but really could do with support and help if poss.

They live in San Javier, Murcia near the Mar Menor.

Does anyone know if there is any help about , even if it was for a few hours a day?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sue

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sue

Just wanted to welcome you to TP.

I'm afraid I can't help with support in Spain, but I do sympathise. It must be so difficult for your dad trying to cope single-handed.

I do hope someone can come up with some suggestions for you.

best wishes,

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
without being too negative, I think you should consider asking your parents to come back to the UK... I know house prices are really down in Spain but that might work to their advantage in the end! Any property purchased in the UK again should only be in your fathers name................

I have found dealing with AD in France very challenging and I speak the language (badly) and the health system here is good - in some ways better than the UK. I lived in Spain for a while and from what I saw the health system is even more family based than here in France... The Spanish authorities will expect the 'family' to rally round and supply the support and help your father badly needs or will need.. The cultural difference between Spain and the UK are even greater than France and the UK and I am finding - have found it, really difficult to get my head around Napoleonic Law and System which is roughly what you have in Spain as well as France, not to mention the illness itself.

Perhaps others know the Spanish system better than I do but I suspect a return to the UK is possible something that should be seriously considered.

Michael

suedavies608

Jun 13, 2007
Northants
Many thanks to all replys.
Michael I think you are probably right saying a move back to UK will have to be.
I am visiting them this weekend and will have to chat with my dad.
Very difficult to come to terms with but I think that unless my dad pays for a private nurse this will be the only solution.
Sue

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Very difficult to come to terms with but I think that unless my dad pays for a private nurse this will be the only solution.

Yes it is very difficult to come to terms with and to make that decision move back into UK .

They is agency out they , that can proved a carer , just like they have in UK & they are not nurses , just like UK

They do have local authority , just like in UK if you go to a local police station they could give you the address to they local social services that can give you the numbers for the agencies .

I was living in Gibraltar an the local social services gave me the number for the agency in spain .

cheaper then UK , because its in euros & the the wages are lower then what they pay the UK carers that work for agencies

yes it would all have to be pay for by your mother father .

Last edited: