Help and advice

Sarz1975

Feb 9, 2016
Hi
My mum and dad have recently returned from Australia due to my dad being diagnosed with early onset dementia. I really need some help and advice as my mum is really struggling to find any support groups or groups for my dad to go to while she is at work. It seems that there was a lot more available in Australia to help and my mum is getting herself more and more upset each day as she is not getting any support from social services or anywhere. Obviously it's upsetting about my dad but my mum seems to be struggling more and more. Any advice, help, numbers for organisations etc etc would be really really appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Mark

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You can contact Alz Soc for a list of what groups they have in your area. You can also contact social services for the names of day centres in your area. The latter require you to be referred by GP, social services or the memory clinic.

Day centres can be a godsend. I was at the end of my tether this time last year but three days of my husband being entertained, stimulated and just out of my hair for a while has changed everything eg he went off on his minibus this morning and as it was a lovely day they went for a drive to a loch side and had tea and cake. Now he can't remember a thing about it but I can guarantee he enjoyed it in the moment.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
HI Sarz1975
you must be so relieved to have your parents back here - but I'm saddened that they are having difficulties getting support
My Local Authority have lots of info on their website, maybe try looking there - and the local paper may have details of carers cafes and such
Is there a local Carers' centre? It's often a hub for sharing contacts
As marionq suggests - your local AS branch and Age UK may well be able to guide you to support
and try
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/local-information/dementia-connect/#!/search
best wishes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976