help and advice needed

jayneythomp

Jan 18, 2015
Hi
Looking for some help/advice. My dad has been diagnosed with vascular dementia a few years ago and was only having mild sypmtoms. September last year was like a lightbulb being turned on he became pacing, having episodes of confusion,unreasonable behaviour and not sleeping at all.My mom coped until Dec i really don't know how and a wk before xmas he was eventually admitted to a unit for assessment and a bit of respite. He'd been there 12hours when he fell and broke his hip! :( A partial hip replacement and a 10 day stay in hospital followed and his condition deteriorated dramatically that he was constantly asleep/unconcious or shouting,hitting out. We suspect he was sedated for most of the time? He was moved back to the unit almost 3 wks ago and he is still the same, very rarely awake, now incontinent and he has still not recieved any physio so is immobile just sitting in a chair. As a family we have been told nothing, consented to nothing and unsure if he has evenbeen assesed for mental capacity? We suspect he's being given medication but no ones telling us & we also have no ides or their future plans? we are obviously as a family devestated by this recent turn of events but are now feeling frustrated by the lack of information we are receiving but also don't know our rights? if anyone has any help or advise we would greatly appreciate it.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi jayney and welcome to Talking Point.

Assuming you are in England/Wales, do you or your mum have Health and Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney for your dad? As the medics are not discussing matters with you I suspect that you don't.

Even if you don't have LPA you and your mum should not be excluded from decisions made on behalf of your dad. This factsheet on Mental Capacity Act may help.

jayneythomp

Jan 18, 2015
Hi jayney and welcome to Talking Point.

Assuming you are in England/Wales, do you or your mum have Health and Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney for your dad? As the medics are not discussing matters with you I suspect that you don't.

Even if you don't have LPA you and your mum should not be excluded from decisions made on behalf of your dad.

Hi many thanks for your response :)
Due to things spiralling out of control so quickly LPA wasnt applied for, and i suspect its too late to apply now?
Many thanks for the link ive printed it out and going to have a read now X

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you are next of kin then the doctors should be talking to you. You may have to be pushy.

One other thing; if you have dementia and then have a general anesthetic it can make the dementia worse. This may be what has happened - but you need to talk to the doctor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerryann76