Help and advice needed

CarolFarmer

Sep 19, 2016
Mum is 90 and has Alzheimer's. She is living in warden controlled flat and has carers 3 times a day. For the past few months she has been getting verbally and physically aggressive with the carers. The aggression has been getting worse and she has attacked a carer with her keys in her hand and has managed to draw blood.
Is anyone caring for someone with physical aggression and have they been prescribed medication for this and what medication has been prescribed.
Any advice would be great as I am at my wits end and font know what to do.

acorns

Jan 25, 2018
Mum was like a wild animal before Xmas - started on 20mg of memantine a day and after a few weeks is now very quiet and calm. I’m not sure if it isn’t too large a dose as she is never so quiet and is not ‘herself’ - but the carers are happy ...

Kat loves milk tray

Jan 1, 2019
Mum is 90 and has Alzheimer's. She is living in warden controlled flat and has carers 3 times a day. For the past few months she has been getting verbally and physically aggressive with the carers. The aggression has been getting worse and she has attacked a carer with her keys in her hand and has managed to draw blood.
Is anyone caring for someone with physical aggression and have they been prescribed medication for this and what medication has been prescribed.
Any advice would be great as I am at my wits end and font know what to do.
My

We have had to put my Dad in a residential home due to the violence and aggression towards my mum. He has been on trazadone 50mg and when required Lorazapan. He still gets aggressive when we visit and towards staff at the care home so the trazadone was increased however this has now been reduced as my Dad had a very dry mouth/ thirst with the medication.
We requested a referral to the MH team to discuss stronger medication. They have visited but are reluctant to prescribe stronger meds at the moment and want to initially observe my Dad and the interaction with the care staff. Possibly get OT involved or a Psychologist.
My Dad cannot take memantine due to kidney function.
I have read that anti psychotics can be prescribed to reduce aggression but at the moment they would like to look at other ways of handling my Dad. We are prepared to give it a go and see what happens.