Help and advice needed as usual, please!

Jaye Morgan

Mar 27, 2013
Hi. I've been here before and I've received some excellent advice, as well as simple support, which is incredibly helpful. I've now encountered a new kind of behaviour in my mother and I wonder how common this might be. I was explaining to her today something about a fire alarm: there had been a fire drill in the place she lives, a regular one, and she hadn't responded to it. I was trying to find out why, because of course in terms of her safety it's something I need to watch out for. And she became really angry, and for the first time in my life at least, she halfway stood up and then slammed her fists down on the table of the cafe where we were sitting. For a moment when I looked into her eyes I could not see anything I recognised, and and the violence of the movement really, really startled me. Is this just a common aspect or does this mean the bloody disease is taking a harder hold of her? Any advice welcomed.

Many thanks,
Jaye

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jaye

It could be anything which triggered this response from your mother.

The first thing which came to my mind is the discussion was too complicated for her to understand and she used attack as the best form of defence.

I don`t know whether or not you`ve come across Compassionate Communication but it might give you some further insight.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

Last edited: