Help! advice please

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi, have only accessed care homes for short respite, but have to agree with Hazel.
If the member of staff showing you around takes time to talk to you and explain things it does make you feel better.
Whilst a good or bad matron can make a lot of difference, it is the care workers attitude that really works. Please don't rule out all care homes. some out there are good. Sorry you are having such a bad time, take care, Connie

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hello Ironmaiden, I wish you well for 2006

I'm sorry you are going through such tough times right now, but don't see all the 'bad' things without seeing what you have achieved so far. Congratulations for getting your funding sorted out! That can be a nightmare, but you have achieved it in double quick time and that's really something! Your Dad is in a safe place (although he may not realise he needs it) and is getting the medical care he needs, and is obviously recovering somewhat from his stroke.

With regard to you worrying about him "asking to go home", try not to upset yourselves if that happens. Alzheimers patients often ask to "go home" even when they are IN their own home, what they often seem to mean is they want to go back to their childhood home, perhaps because everything made sense to them back then, whereas now they feel confused.

As regards your visit to the care home, please do make another appointment and try again.
Just for a moment, try to put yourself in that Matron's shoes. :( She has 20 or 30 residents, at various stages of mental disturbance. It's Christmas time, so she has all their relatives ringing up or coming in, trying to sort out THEIR christmas wishes and arrangements. She's short-staffed, because just like everyone else her staff want some time off for THEIR Christmas shopping and preparations, but she's doing the best she can. Maybe she even had an emergency situation to deal with (if it was YOUR Dad :eek: who had fallen out of bed, or gone missing, you would have expected her to give him priority wouldn't you, not healthy visitors.) And she would probably not feel it correct to discuss the nature of the situation with someone who she had just met for the first time.

Please don't think I'm unsympathetic to your hurt feelings and the disappointment, but things just don't always work out on the 1st attempt. You have obviously been well brought up, and expect to be treated with the courtesy which you undoubtedly give to others but, with AD, it often happens that some of the 'rules' and social niceties have to be put on one side, in order to deal with VERY non-standard things that happen as a result of the disease. And that's something to remember too - this whole horrible scenario is THE RESULT OF THE DISEASE, not anyone's fault. It's unpredictable, and horrible, but we just to have to hang in there and do our best. And that, for you, may include dealing with disappointment, and picking up the phone to make another appointment, without being too critical - just say you realise that you happened to come before at a time when they were obviously very busy, and could you try again.

My very best wishes to you both - be strong, and try to be patient when things don't 'fall into place' on the first attempt.

Last edited:

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Ironmaden -

How's your Dad getting along? Has his condition stabilized? Did you manage to have another look for care homes, now the Christmas/New Year holiday is over?

AND, not forgetting, how are YOU & YOUR SISTER? You've been through an awful time, so I hope you are taking care of yourselves too.

Best wishes

ironmaden

Oct 27, 2005
cornwall
thanks for asking about dad for the last week he has been pretty good but in the last 3 days his dimentia has been veary bad he is still in hospital as he has veary low blood pressure with it bein christmas we have not had a look at any more care homes we know it has tobe done but it just seems so finale my brother who lives with dad rang today to say he has taken dads stair lift out because he will not need it any more some people just dont have a heart . me and my sister are trying are best to be strong and do what is right for dad . the hospital has asked us to come in twice a day and feed dad because he keeps falling asleep and they are afraid he will choke it just seems that it is another part of him that is slipping away but thanks to everyone who have taken the time to read this thanks again lynn

ironmaden

Oct 27, 2005
cornwall
have anyone herd of this

my dad has been in hospital for 5 weeks in went in with a stroke we realised it was time we decided about a home so we got everything going he was assesed in this hospital and we were told he would need 1 to 1 care when he went into a care home all the funding was being sorted out then we had a phone call saying that he would get countinue care so we did not have to pay anything for him togo into the care home we were so happy with this as we were happy so we could keep his house just in case a miricle happend and he still had somewere to come home to . then he got moved to another hospital and they assesed him ther and put him down a band so instead of being at high band he is now in middle band then yesterday we had a phone call to say that because they put him down a band he can no longer get the countinuin care and he will have to fund the home hisself . but whot about if he was in the home and they assesed him would he have had to fund his self i just do not under stand this we wre just watting for his place to come open in the home now we are back to step one all over again sorry for my moan

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Don't be sorry for 'moaning', asking questions or expressing your hurt & frustration - that's what this Talking Point board was created for.

I don't know the answers to your questions myself (someone else may, so keep looking in) but I would suggest you make direct contact with your local Alzheimer's Society branch and ask for their help again. That's what they are there for.

Best Wishes

ironmaden

Oct 27, 2005
cornwall
any advice welcome

dad is in a hospital waiting to go into a care home . it was his birthday yesterday 88 years my sister went along at dinner time to feed him i ususally do dinner time but as it was his birthday we swoped around i usually get there at 12 30 my sister got there at 12 she got out of her car then started to walk up to the hospital ;ooked up and my dad was standing in the car park she said dad what are you doing he said im going home he had his glasses and his bit of money in his hand ready to go he did not even have his zimmer frame with him witch usually he can not walk without my sister got a wheelchair and took him back and the nurses did not even now he was gone i just keep thinking where would he have been if it was me that went dinner time and been an half hour lator .we spoke to the doctor today when he came around and he said if it happens again he will have to be sedated which we do not wont .allso my dad has not been washed or shaved for 4 days and also have bed sores so with him wetting himself all the time and not being washed i would think these sores will get a lot worse .any advice on how to deal with this will be veary helpfull

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
This must be so upsetting for you. Sedation does not sound the right thing to me, it sounds as though the hospital needs to improve its observation of your dad.
I do not know what to advise, though I'm sure other will. It sounds as though you need someone's help to make sure that your dad is receiving proper care whilst a place in a nursing home is being found. I hope someone can give you some practical ideas soon.
Take care.
Amy

EDITH

Jan 26, 2006
ironmaden said:
dad is in a hospital waiting to go into a care home . it was his birthday yesterday 88 years my sister went along at dinner time to feed him i ususally do dinner time but as it was his birthday we swoped around i usually get there at 12 30 my sister got there at 12 she got out of her car then started to walk up to the hospital ;ooked up and my dad was standing in the car park she said dad what are you doing he said im going home he had his glasses and his bit of money in his hand ready to go he did not even have his zimmer frame with him witch usually he can not walk without my sister got a wheelchair and took him back and the nurses did not even now he was gone i just keep thinking where would he have been if it was me that went dinner time and been an half hour lator .we spoke to the doctor today when he came around and he said if it happens again he will have to be sedated which we do not wont .allso my dad has not been washed or shaved for 4 days and also have bed sores so with him wetting himself all the time and not being washed i would think these sores will get a lot worse .any advice on how to deal with this will be veary helpfull
hI IRONMADEN
My goodness, what a thing to happen, but I can believe anything of hospitals today, and as for the doctor talking about sedation it is an utter disgrace. Unfortunately its another example giving proof of medics, care homes, hospitals and other establishments, managing the elderly, inparticular those with confusion , dimenture, alzheimers disease and such. through drugs and it is all wrong. People in homes,hospitals, institutions should be educated and trained to deal with alzheimers patients or even elderly with slight dimenture problems, early and advanced stages, but the problem is there are not enough trained people to deal with these situation. Government have to start looking at this more seriously and getting something done about the situation. People are living longer and there are more and more old people in need of this kind of help. Doctors should certainly not be talking about sedating someone like your father, it is criminal. There is no excuse, and the reason is they just cannot be bothered or they have no idea how do deal with these people. As for the lack of washing and shaving, and the bedsore situation, there is no excuse and you really must report the situation to the persons to whom reports of this nature are made. You will find who and where in the booklets available around the hospital, it will tell you to whom you address complaints of this nature, but you must do it for the sake of other old people as well as your father.

I am sure you will receive an enormous amount of replies to this posting, people must be so appauled that one could not help but try and offer some kind of advice along with their sympathies for your dilemma, and at the horror you have experienced.

Regards
Edith

Bets

Aug 11, 2005
South-East London, UK
As Edith says, this is an absolutely outrageous situation. If you don't like to complain directly to the nursing/medical staff, the hospital should have a Patients Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will advise you and intervene on your behalf. The main reception of the hospital should be able to direct you to them, so you won't need to ask anyone on the ward if you don't want to.

Bets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69