help advice on lorazepam

Pepe36

Nov 20, 2017
Hello good morning all got appointment at memory clinic today has anyone had lorazepam it was given to mum about 2 months aga worked for about a month managed to get some sleep , but now doesn't seem to be working she is back to waking up few times in night distressed any thing else they could give me to stop her illuminations so she can get a nights sleep

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't have any experience with that particular drug but it is from a class where it is common to build a tolerance, which your mum seems to have done. An increased dose or different pill may be required but I think the clinic would be the best place for advice.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Mum was prescribed this for anxiety and sundowning, which usually happened around bedtime. It did work, but really only for a short time and after this it actually started to increase her anxiety and strange behaviour, so we stopped . We had a period of taking Zopiclone sleeping pills, but far and few between because although they worked again they started to effect her behaviour especially after going to bed, she would sleep for a few hours and then was up and about in her room and of course because of the medication, was a little wobbly. I still have the sleeping pills, but she rarely takes them now, sometimes just half to calm her before bed, but at this stage we don't really need them. Most nights she sleeps and if not, she no longer comes out of her bedroom, just occasionally potters around moving her bits and pieces on the chest of drawers.

I do know how difficult dealing with a sleepless dementia sufferer is. I had a lot of different things in my arsenal to aid sleep, paracytamol, night nurse, travel sickness pills, rescue night, nytol alixier. Not all at once of course and only after talking to her gp, but after a run of sleepless nights for me dealing with mum's wandering, I would administer one of these crossed my fingers that it worked, but as with all prescribed and over the counter medication, there are the dreaded side effects.

Pepe36

Nov 20, 2017
Hi all need help don't really understand how things are going go back to beginning maybe you all can help.mam is 67 started to show signs about 3 years ago probably finial on my dad myself and two siblings part but we agnored it anyway in January things really went downhill accusing dad of. Terrible things she would say he was putting things in. Bed to hurt her ,she would wake up in night screaming ripping back covers and brushing things of bed that was not there we would be up all night ,many we have had since then.anyway she refused to see doctor so I snapped about 6 weeks ago after seeing dad n the living room crying ,I told her I was getting the doctor,he came said mam. Wasn't well and sent her to hospital when we got there they done test urine ,blood,scan anyway after two days doctor came to see mam after a discussion to ask weather I wanted her to go to a unit or I could take her home and wait for appointment.i decided to take her home.the doctor had discussion with mam and told her she thinks she has dementia ,no explanation just that.then about a week later had to take. Mam. To doctors he said she. Had to have some vitamin d,I explained what hospital said and could he have a look at results he is it looked like vascular ,so we went to memory clinic last week and they didn't do anything only give her a memory test no results given to me no doctor is this what happens .and what do they mean there is damage to blood vessels in the brain is this what they mean ,is this life threatening does the symptoms get any better .can someone please help me understand what this is what's going on,what will happen next.going out of my mind with worry .no sleep and worry don't mix well at least if I had some answers I would no where to start thanks all

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Pepe36
the period of getting a diagnosis for a parent is stressful, largely, as you say, down to the worry about the unknown - good for you for listening to your dad and getting the medics involved
as you mention 'vascular', you may want to have a read through some of the info on the main AS site - here's a link
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20007/types_of_dementia/5/vascular_dementia
the consultant at the memory clinic will be considering the results of the tests and will be in touch - the tests are a usual part of the assessments done - it may be that your mum will he asked to go for some scans - if the consultant diagnoses vascular dementia, there isn't medication to take for that, however there may be some that will help with symptoms
has your dad contacted their Local Authority Adult Services to set up an assessment of your mum's care needs - it would be worth doing, to have your mum's name in the system
keep posting with anything that's on your mind