Help & advice needed please

gary marshall

Nov 30, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm Gary and my mother has just moved into the second stage of alzheimers. She has started to empty cupboards and wardrobes and piling everything beside her bed. The carer cannot find anything to dress her with each morning so what we need is to find a way of restricting her access to cupboards and wardrobes but allows us and the carer access. Is there anything on the market which would suit this purpose? Could anyone recommend anything and advise where we may obtain this. Many thanks. Gary.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Gary and welcome from me too.

I wonder if locking her cupboards and wardrobes would frustrate her and cause some anxiety. Could you maybe leave some old clothes in there so she can still do what she is doing and have her clothes that the carers will use in another room where she won't touch them. As long as the carers distract her whilst they get the clothes then she should be non the wiser.

Jay

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
So, so familiar. My mum has for a while now been gathering her clothes around her, sometimes in bed with her. This doesn't really bother me too much, but I have tried child locks in the past-broken. Now I am slowly sorting through all her clothes and removing items I know she does not wear anymore. I have also boxed and put away her Summer clothes, so there is far less for her to move and at least It only takes me 5 minutes now to put everything away, at least until the next time.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I solved it by not denying access but by keeping a secret stash of a selection of clothes elsewhere and using various techniques to introduce the selected items as if coming from the main pile at the correct time.

Moving the main pile around all the time kept my wife happy, you have to be careful that worn/soiled items don't end up in the this pile though.

Like most things this was a phase, suddenly there was no need to empty the wardrobe and drawers.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham

I wonder if locking her cupboards and wardrobes would frustrate her and cause some anxiety. Could you maybe leave some old clothes in there so she can still do what she is doing and have her clothes that the carers will use in another room where she won't touch them. As long as the carers distract her whilst they get the clothes then she should be non the wiser.

Jay

Good Idea Jay, I never thought of that, my husband would be frustrated if he couldn't get into cupboards as well x

gary marshall

Nov 30, 2014
Hello Gary and welcome to Talking Point, what your mum does is very common there are lots of locks that are used for children I wonder if any of these would work for you,

Hi Jeany123 Thank you for that i will have a look and let you know how we get on
Kind regards
Gary

gary marshall

Nov 30, 2014

Jay

Hi Jaymor Thank you for your advice and i understand what you mean i have left her old clothes there most no longer fit her we have just brought her all new and cannot find any of them she may have thrown them out and we know the carer is starting to get a little frustrated trying to find anything but will give it a try again many thanks for your help.
Kind regards
Gary

gary marshall

Nov 30, 2014
So, so familiar. My mum has for a while now been gathering her clothes around her, sometimes in bed with her. This doesn't really bother me too much, but I have tried child locks in the past-broken. Now I am slowly sorting through all her clothes and removing items I know she does not wear anymore. I have also boxed and put away her Summer clothes, so there is far less for her to move and at least It only takes me 5 minutes now to put everything away, at least until the next time.

Hi Tin in the proses of doing that now only very slowly so she does not notice thank you for your help
Regards
Gary

gary marshall

Nov 30, 2014
I solved it by not denying access but by keeping a secret stash of a selection of clothes elsewhere and using various techniques to introduce the selected items as if coming from the main pile at the correct time.

Moving the main pile around all the time kept my wife happy, you have to be careful that worn/soiled items don't end up in the this pile though.

Like most things this was a phase, suddenly there was no need to empty the wardrobe and drawers.

Hi Nitram really do hope this is a phase we are finding a little difficult keeping up with a lot of the things she has started to do many thanks
Kind regards
Gary