Help! 24 hour care/direct payments

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
After a 6 week stay in hospital, a battle with the Hospital to let my Mum out of hospital I am feeling like I don't know where to turn. It was agreed (eventually) with the intervention of a mental health advocate, and Social Services supporting the view that it would be more beneficial for my Mum to return home with 24 hour care being paid for privately, with a view that Social Services would contribute in the form of a Direct payment that it should be tried to see How Mum copes after a spell at home. She has Stoma care to contend with, after a bowel cancer operation. I am seeing that my Mum's care needs have changed since the first few days in hospital so testing for a UTI currently and waiting results.
The problem that I am having is the SW is giving me what I believe to be conflicting advice regarding Direct Payments and how they work out what Mum is entitled to. For example, she is un able to tell me what the figure will be - only that it is in the region of £350 per week, Cost of 24 care at home is currently around the £1250 per week mark. She then keeps referring to attendance allowance, and then said that the price of my Mum's home shouldn't be taken into account in the assessment as she is not selling it (to be honest, if I don't see an improvement in Mum, Im not too sure I would be happy to carry on down the 24 hour care route, as from researching, it seems that it would be better to move my Mum to a residential care home as she will be self funding, and I want her to have the best option is there is, possibly moving closer to where I am located even although it will be more costly to live in a care home near me) I am confused about this also and no one seems to be able to give me a time line on how long it will take to get a decision on the amount that Direct Payments are willing to contribute or how a decision is usually reached.
I have been told by the Direct Payments adviser that this is the first time they are approving direct payments to be used in this way to pay for 24 hour care at home in my Mum's borough.
Can anyone share similar experiences?
Thanks for reading.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I would consider it very unusual that 24 hour care at home was funded by SS. They just dont have that sort of budget.

Sounds like they are expecting mum to contribute to the cost, them putting up a ''contribution''.

4 calls a day is normal- Ballpark £350 pw - funded 24/7 as rare as hens teeth

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Sorry - not expected SS to fund the 24 care at home - just was confused on how they arrive at the figure and they keep delaying what the figure will be and saying they can't confirm. All so confusing.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The figure will be calculated by the local authority finance team. It's not unusual for a social worker with limited knowledge of how the finances are calculated to put forward their own ideas, causing confusion! Once the figure has been calculated you should get a letter advising you of how this figure was reached. It seems to take an average of 3 months or so for a financial assessment to be calculated (it varies depending on the local authority). If I were you I would ignore what the social worker is saying and leave it to those who are actually carrying out the financial assessment to provide you with the details!

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Thanks for replying Louise. That is interesting to hear and makes sense totally.
Yes I think that is what has been happening as I have found it very difficult to pin this lady down to a time frame. You would think they would have knowledge on how long it takes and if you know this is the process, you would then stop badging (to a point). I would rather just be told OK we will take around 3 months and then you can plan the finances for that period of time. Do they back date this payments? Presumably from the discharge date at the hospital? Like I say, after seeing my Mum back at home this time - I am not sure that she will bounce back as I have hoped like previous times - maybe we are in the next stage of the disease - in which case Im not sure homecare will be appropriate or affordable for long! Difficult trying to plan and stay on top of an ever changing condition - thanks for taking the time to advise - its helpful and puts it in perspective!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar