Hello

Arley

Jan 7, 2016
3 weeks ago Dad who is 69 had a memory test at home as we were concerned he was getting forgetful. He did ok and we were advised he may have to have a scan in the new year?

3 weeks later he has been sectioned on a section 2 and he is displaying advance signs of Vascular Dementia.

The last 5 days have been the worst of my life.

mrs mcgonnagal

May 9, 2015
Goodness that's very fast, you must be feeling shell shocked. Talking point has been very helpful to me, I know there will lots of support and advice for you here. I am sorry to hear what you are going through.

Arley

Jan 7, 2016
Goodness that's very fast, you must be feeling shell shocked. Talking point has been very helpful to me, I know there will lots of support and advice for you here. I am sorry to hear what you are going through.

He threatened to take his own life. He has been sent upset twice this week to A/E with heart problems as the hospital he is in thought he was having an heart attack. The service we received in A.E was disgusting.

Dad had a good day today and I went with him to his scan on the minibus from his secure hospital and he was good. But I have just been told he is getting very upset again tonight.

The staff in the unit were he is are brilliant, they phoned me last night to speak to Dad as he was very upset. I managed o get him to take his meds and he calmed down.

I am in shock at the moment and I keep crying at the slightest thing. I am a 6ft 15stone ex doorman but I keep crying like a baby.

mrs mcgonnagal

May 9, 2015
I am sorry but it is good he is where he is, and getting help and treatment, I hope he begins to improve. You will be upset, of course, its a shocking development. Maybe it will help to discuss with the staff what might happen next, get yourself a bit prepared, and informed. It is a dreadful disease.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Bless you. This must have hit you like a hammer. Mostly these things are worked up to. He is now getting appropriate care and it may just be a question of getting his meds balance right to see a good improvement.

Arley

Jan 7, 2016
Dad

Bless you. This must have hit you like a hammer. Mostly these things are worked up to. He is now getting appropriate care and it may just be a question of getting his meds balance right to see a good improvement.

Sorry I haven't been in touch, the last week has been a nightmare. Dad was admitted last Saturday into a mental hospital and the care he has received there is second to none. But he has had 4 different incidents were he has complained of chest pains so they have had to call an ambulance to admit him to A/E. The level of care he has received from the A/E department is disgusting one of the nurses who from the mental hospital who had to stay with Dad has formally complained about the consultant who saw treated him on the second occasion.
Dad has had to be restrained 4 times so far and he threw a punch at me Friday night when I said he could not come home with me and my mom.

Dad has also had his scan this week and his doctor at the mental hospital should hopefully have the results when we meet on Tuesday but he has already told us he expects it to be Vascular Dementia?
When I took my mom to visit dad yesterday he need were he has and he felt very sorry for the other folk in the hospital, Talking to him you would not have thought there was anything wrong with him. My Dad has worked in mental health homes in the past and my mom is the manager of a resendital home for the elderly which in a way makes this work?

I still cannot believe how normal dad is on occasions we feel guilty that he isn't at home

Arley

Jan 7, 2016
Dad

Sorry should have said Dad has had some heart complaints in the past so his Doctor has said he is limited to which drugs he can give Dad as it may cause either an heart attack or a stroke.
But he has been very good and has arranged a meeting with the consultant who has treated him in the past to come and see my Dad at the mental hospital.

Once again I cannot praise the staff enough but the treatment he received in A/E was scandalous.
This included not being offered a drink in 13 hours, the reason was that the two mental health nurses should have got him one even though they were instructed not to leave him.
No tests carried out despite him being admitted with a suspected angina test. The reason I was given was he had already had them in the Ambulance. This is despite my Dad having a history of heart problems
I was concerned about leaving Dad and they said they had not got a bed on the coronary care unit so they moved him to the room were relatives go when they loose a family member, he spent 12 hours in that room. I said I was concerned that he may become upset there answer was they had got security on duty and if they could not cope they would call the police. The lack of any sort of compassion shown towards my father was shocking. I did ask if my Dad wasn't sectioned would he receive the same treatment, the consultant refused to answer which I think said it all.