hello

jeann

Sep 2, 2015
my husband may have dementia to day the doctor said he has the early stages i was so upset then the nurse did a memory test then the doctor said he may not have it this has been going on 9 months now can anyone tell me can he have dementia and get a "good" memory test result i just need to know good or bad .......he is booked in for another scan

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Jeann, I'm so sorry, I don't have the answer but just wanted to welcome you to the forum and to say that others will be along shortly who know more than me and who can advise you. This is a great place for friendly support x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Yes, he can.
Intelligence is said to mask early stages. He will have blood tests, to eliminate anything else, and the scan before diagnosis also a gp may not be as skilled as diagnosis as a consultant.

OH scored 28 1/2 on his first test and 30 thereafter for the first couple of years, until they stopped testing him!

Don't worry too much, let us know how you get on and we'll guide you on the way!!

Good luck!l

jeann

Sep 2, 2015
this was a consultant he was saying how much help i would get then he looked at the paper and said he wouldnt expect the same result as last time he had 6 weeks in hospital but they all seem to just shake there heads

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
It took us 3 years for us to get a diagnosis for OH and were finally given the news about 14 months ago. OH has always done quite well on memory tests and still plays bridge regularly though he says that he is having trouble remembering what cards have been played. I find that he gets muddled up and confused and quite often fails to understand conversations, movie plots etc. and that was the issue that made me suspicious in the first place.

I know that there are several people at the bridge club who have dementia of some kind and I am sure that other members make allowances for them so I suspect that he is not playing as well as he thinks he is.

He could remember going to different places many years ago but could not recall when he had been there and he had that particular problem for years. His short term memory is slipping but it is a gradual process and he is still performing fairly well on memory tests even now. And I don't think his geriatrician would bother telling him otherwise.

So it is important to know that Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia are not just about memory but are complicated and different illnesses for each person.

jeann

Sep 2, 2015
at last

i posted a while back about hubby having test for dementia now got the results he has frontlobe dementia ...they told me how much help and support i would get and now iv got it ...A LEAFLET !!!

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Now you be careful with that leaflet! Unbelievable isn't it! To be honest you have found the best support you could have right here so well done being ahead of the game. Local carers groups, age UK and Alzheimer's groups are probably your best port of call locally.

Apart from that you could have an assessment carried out to see if any help can be offered in respect of respite for you, day centre or carers coming in etc.

Maybe able to get council tax reduction and attendance allowance for him too. Worth asking.

Keep checking in on this forum and I'm sure your leaflet help will be out knowledged by the people on here!