hello

Loll

Jun 18, 2015
Hi my mum was diagnosed with altzeimers a few weeks ago (suspected for a while but sitting in the neurologists office and hearing the word out loud still makes your stomach drop and churn).
We live a couple of hundred miles apart so mum then came to stay for my nieces party at the request of my brother (1 1/2 hrs away )who had other relatives staying although I am hellish busy with professional exams next week, 3 primary school age kids and 2 pt time jobs I thought I can just wing it for a couple of days.

Mum actually seems to function better in her own home and tries to do things she cant really do in mine which aggravates my husband who has only ever been able to can manage short bursts of mother in law at the best of times.

She then had a fall and has broken her shoulder so badly she needs round the clock care. I have been thrown into a carers situation and I really don't know what to do. I have had to get extenuating circumstances from my uni for one of my exams and I am self employed and have had to cancel work. I am really sorry to have such a moan having never spoken with anyone on here before but Im at my wits end. I have no idea when she will be able to go home. My brother has offered to help and have her to stay on the premise he would pop home at lunchtime from work to give her some lunch!! How do people cope with this type of situation? :eek:

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Assuming she is is still with you, and that her shoulder was treated at your local hospital, she should surely not have been discharged without a care plan in place. I would start with a call to your local Adult Social Services, say it is is urgent because of your mum's injury and ask if they can organise carers to help her while she's staying with you (or your brother).

The other possibility would be to try the social work team at the hospital where she was treated and see if they can point you in the right direction. When my mum had a fall, there was a 'rapid response' team who took over when she was discharged from hospital for the next week.

Loll

Jun 18, 2015
Assuming she is is still with you, and that her shoulder was treated at your local hospital, she should surely not have been discharged without a care plan in place. I would start with a call to your local Adult Social Services, say it is is urgent because of your mum's injury and ask if they can organise carers to help her while she's staying with you (or your brother).

The other possibility would be to try the social work team at the hospital where she was treated and see if they can point you in the right direction. When my mum had a fall, there was a 'rapid response' team who took over when she was discharged from hospital for the next week.

Thank you that is really helpful. I am a med professional and I guess they thought I would just manage but this is all new to me and I can't really manage.