Hello

Prettyconcerned

Mar 13, 2015
Can anyone help me? I have a concern for my husband, who is unaware of this. He is a v proud man and would hate to think there is anything 'wrong' but I wonder if a. he has always been slightly Asberger's and/or he is in the early stages of Alzheimer's?

signed, Confused! Thank you

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello and welcome to TP.

I know very little of as regrets but believe that repetitive behaviour can be part of it. This behaviour is also common in someone who has dementia. There are many forms of dementia, Alzheimers being just one of them and perhaps the most common.

If you could just post a little more of the concerns or different behaviour you are noticing then members will be able to come back with some advice and support.

Of course you would need a diagnosis to get any medical intervention and without your husband's cooperation this will be impossible.

Hopefully with a little more information we can help.

Prettyconcerned

Mar 13, 2015
confused

Thank you for getting back to me. The problems we are having are: he is very remote generally, this has been getting worse over months. Communication is very difficult: he cannot explain himself clearly and cannot see to listen, to take anything in. He forgets things as soon as they are said generally. He forgets to read notes. He has periods of anger/frustration outbursts for no apparent reason. He cannot seem to write emails anymore, cannot assimilate what he wants to say. He does not look at me when I speak to him, and really DOES NOT SEEM ABLE TO ACTUALLY LISTEN (he can hear). His face shows no emotion or expression at all, so moods difficult to assess...
Hello and welcome to TP.

I know very little of as regrets but believe that repetitive behaviour can be part of it. This behaviour is also common in someone who has dementia. There are many forms of dementia, Alzheimers being just one of them and perhaps the most common.

If you could just post a little more of the concerns or different behaviour you are noticing then members will be able to come back with some advice and support.

Of course you would need a diagnosis to get any medical intervention and without your husband's cooperation this will be impossible.

Hopefully with a little more information we can help.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you think your husband is unlikely to see the GP about this this you could go for slight subterfuge. If you go and see his GP s/he wont be able to discuss your husband, but they will listen and may be willing to get your husband to go for a "check up" ;)

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
it could be one of many things but Asperger's is a 'born with' condition so unlikely. it could be a mild cortical stroke, vascular dementia, brain tumour, vitamin deficiency and a plethora of other conditions, most of which are treatable so I can only urge you to contact the doctor (email or letter) listing the symptoms and ask the doctor if he can call in your OH for a health check.

Good luck

Prettyconcerned

Mar 13, 2015
Confused

Thank you loveahug and Canary. I had thought of visiting the GP, but I know they cannot actually discuss it with me, so haven't. I just wish I had more concrete thoughts one way or the other. He has never been tactile, in fact, the opposite. Never shown feelings, physically or emotionally, always been distant and never made much eye contact when anyone speaks to him, or he does, but looks totally vacant and if you were to ask him what they/I have just said, he does not know. I find it all so frustrating. The trickiest part is being able to talk to him at all. It is impossible to have a lucid conversation with a rational outcome. Also if he makes any arrangements or takes messages. They just come out all wrong and inappropriate. Oh dear.

Prettyconcerned

Mar 13, 2015
it could be one of many things but Asperger's is a 'born with' condition so unlikely. it could be a mild cortical stroke, vascular dementia, brain tumour, vitamin deficiency and a plethora of other conditions, most of which are treatable so I can only urge you to contact the doctor (email or letter) listing the symptoms and ask the doctor if he can call in your OH for a health check.

Good luck

Loveahug. Well, as to a stroke, brain tumour, plethora of other things, I accept that. And he does have a mild heart condition. But that is all. He seems physically quite fit, but does stoop and walk v slowly. In fact, does everything with a certain deliberation about it and is so distant all of the time. In his own world, which is impenetrable.