Hello

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Hi I am new to posting on here. I have been reading for a few weeks though.

My story is my Father has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's. He has been diagnosed for over 10 years and has been on Aricept since diagnosis. His scores have been pretty even for years but he is now beginning to decline. My mum is his main carer. She is becoming exhausted not surprisingly. I have 2 sisters, my eldest lives away so is rather invisible but my other sister and I try and go round regularly so there is one of us there popping in for a "coffee" once a day. This is when we change beds if necessary, mop the wee off the floor and disinfect the loo, empty and wash the load in the washing basket etc etc.

My Father suffers from urgency, so he usually doesnt quite make it to the loo and will sit in wet trousers and pants quite happily. Yuk! We have recently had Social Service out to visit and assess his needs. My mum was terrified when the Carer was allocated to come and "help" him into the shower. Luckily the chap who comes is lovely, he is mature and an experienced carer so my Father is quite happy to allow himself to be put in the shower and helped.Massive sigh of relief that no argument followed for my poor Mum.

So basically, just plodding along really. Will no doubt be very glad of your support in the future. Thanks for reading, Susy. :)

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Susy, a warm welcome to you to Talking Point, thank you for introducing yourself to us and your dad:) so whenever you need support, understanding, smiles and even laughs...anytime day or night, there is always someone around.
So pleased dad has a lovely carer and mum has accepted this:eek: phew
Take care and best wishes
Chris x

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi Susy
Welcome from me as well. I know what you mean about plodding along. That pretty much cescribes how it is with my Mum as well. I have learnt so much from this forum and there is lots of support available for the bad times and some funny/happy threads as well. I do hope you keep posting.
Best wishes

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL