Hello

Nichola_123

Mar 18, 2007
Essex
Hey. I thought i'd join this forum to get some advice about my nan. If anyone could talk to me about it/offer any advice id be most greatful :)

Over the past year or more my nan has had more and more problems with her memory. My uncle took her to the doctor who did one of the tests with questions like who is prime minister etc etc and she seemed to score fairly well. She was given some vitamin tablets I think.

Since then her memory for peoples names and general things has decreased. She went on holiday recently to visit family. Apparently she kept asking the same questions each day and when the topic of the war in Iraq came up she acted suprised that there was anything happening there as if it was new news to her. She reads news papers each day and watches the news so it's not like she has never heard of it. She also kept saying the last time she saw them all was about 15 16 years ago but it was more recent then that.

It's the little everyday things like names and what day of the week it is. I took her to church last sunday as allways and afterwards when we had tea she asked me what day it was. She keeps re calling storys of when she was younger and calling family members by her sisters name. I'm at university at the moment and each time I come home I can notice a difference

Has anyone got any advice on how to get the doctor to test more then a few questions about current affairs and a blood test? I dont know where to start really.. I'm not sure if it could be just an age thing or something more and if it is more what will happen??
Thanks for reading
Nichola

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Nichola

Welcome to TP. You'll find lots of support here.

First of all, how old is your nan? It does sound as if she is showing early signs on AD, my husband was just like that. But it could be other things, and only a doctor would be able to rule them out.

The first thing is to go back to your nan's GP. It would help if your uncle could keep a sort of diary for perhaps a week, putting down all the memory lapses.

Then insist on proper testing. Your nan should have further blood tests, then be referred for a brain scan. After everything else has been ruled out she should be referred to a consultant for a full memory test.

Your uncle may have to insist on further testing -- some GPs are too inclined to put memory loss down to normal aging, which may mean that by the time AD is finally diagnosed, it is very much more advanced.

Remember, AD is only a possibility at this stage, but well done you for trying to find out more.

Let us know how you get on.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Nichola,

Welcome to TP.

When your nan saw the doctor and, he performed the memory test and prescribed the Vitamins, did he say he would ask her to make a further appointment, say after 1 month or so.

That was what happened with my husband.

I think the GPs see if there can be any improvement when they prescribe, before they refer people further.

If you would like things to move more quickly, you could always try to make another appointment and ask if there is anything else the GP can do to help.

It is very worrying when people begin to lose their memory. Are you your nan`s carer, or just a very concerned granddaughter.

See if your nan can go back to the GP to ask if there are further tests she can have.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

With love

Nichola_123

Mar 18, 2007
Essex
Thanks for your replies :). My nan lives alone.. My mum I suppose is sort of her carer as she takes her shopping and goes to visit after work each day. When I come home I usualy visit and go shopping with them. My mum keeps me updated on my nan and how her memory is lapsing. I am a student nurse so i have some understanding of the disease so my conclusion from the things I hear is its possibly the first signs of Ad or something similar. My nans sister has AD, im not sure on the genetic link but I guess it makes her slightly higher at risk of developing it.

I guess the first thing I can do now is get my mum to organise a gp visit and hopefully things can go on from there. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you all updated.

From your experience how did things go from the first initial diagnosis?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Nichola

When my husband first went to our GP, he sent a CPN to the house to conduct a memory test and talk to us both. The CPN indicated to me what it was, but wasn't allowed to tell me.

She gave the test results to the conultant, and arranged for our first appointment. Then my husband had a scan, and at his next appointment AD was confirmed and he was prescribed Reminyl (galantamine). It all went very quickly, I would guess maybe two months from first GP visit to diagnosis.

John has done well on Reminyl, and seven years later is still relatively well.

The sooner you set things in motion the better, if indeed it is AD.

Good luck,