Hello.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I'm not sure about a dimmer light in her bedroom as mum might think there was something wrong with it and try to fix it, but it is something to look into, might just change the bulbs on the landing and in the toilet and see how things go.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Ok i finally got around to trying the night light for mums room, its not too bright but i wonder if its bright enough? I don't want it too bright or obviously she will stay awake, its just like what a kid has in their bedroom if they are scared of the dark.
Thought i would share what type it is incase anyone else wants to buy one, its a Uni- Com auto night light and comes with a free 5W replacement bulb. Basically its a plug in and switch on at the wall and it will come on at dusk and off at dawn. It says it is ideal for children or for the elderly. I bought it from a dealer on ebay as other ones i looked at elsewhere were really expensive, think this one was well under £10.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
If there are stairs, they should be fully lit at all times.
Night lights will be ok in the bedroom.
I leave the bathroom lights on all night.

I live in a bungalow or else stair lights would be on all night too.

Last edited:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I was thinking of getting something like a 'baby gate' but a full one to close at night so mum can't get access to the stairs. Looking into low watt bulbs to replace the old fashioned ones for the bathroom and stairs.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Most baby gates are baby height.
I had a gate fitted by my local authority, 20 years ago.
Hand made, to fit, 5 foot high.

I would ask social services if they can help you to solve the problem.
A problem identified is a problem that must be solved.

You can tumble over a baby gate.

Stairs are a problem, I would not lower the wattage, I would keep them well lit.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I have it on top of my 'to do' list (which seems to be getting longer by the day) to call the OT guys and see what they suggest, as for the lights in the stairs i will keep them the same as they are. What i meant was change the bulb from the old ones you can't get (or not supposed to use) anymore to a more safety style one, just incase there is a fire.

Boldredrosie

Mar 13, 2012
There's been a lot of research into how to keep older people who need to get up at night safe and ensuring there are no trip hazards and the path to bathroom is well-lit can be key. Philips do something called CareGlow, which I'm not sure if it's available in the UK, but it basically lights the path to the bathroom when somebody wakes up in the middle of the night.

Also the University of Strathclyde has done a great deal of work into dementia-friendly environments. Here's a link to the website http://dementia.stir.ac.uk/design_welcome perhaps there are some ideas there that would work for you and your Ma.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Someone did mention something about lighting a path to the bathroom but when they described it, it reminded me of those exit signs you get in case of a fire!
There are only 3 rooms upstairs, mine, mums and the bathroom, which happens to be right next to mums room, hence i was thinking along the sign lines, but i am wondering if she has problems with her eyes (booking her in to get them checked when she comes home from respite). I am grateful for all advice offered here.
Thanks for the link to the website i will have a look at it in more detail later.

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hello,

If your mum wanders about at night, have you thought about having a safety gate at the top of the stairs? QUOTE]

Safety gates (baby gates) are very useful. I have 3 setup to help control Sharon's movements. When you install them mount them higher than the instructions say, otherwise an adult can walk into them quickly and flip over the top if it is below waist height.

notthebestnurse

Jan 11, 2013
London
Wandering mums

I have been following this :)thread as my mum also night wanders for the loo. Very helpful comments and I have requested some info from a signage guy I know to see if he knows how to get hold of luminous/illuminated signs...will let you know when I find out.Florescent pens could be a good first step

steviep

Dec 11, 2012
Lancashire
Some really good ideas and advice in this thread.

My mum can't find the toilet even in the daytime sometimes (or her way back to the bedroom) so door signs may be the solution for me though flourescent ones would be great and would serve for both night and day.

Night lights are a good idea too as she gets a little frightened at night, she starts getting a bit agitated when it starts to get dark. Problem is we're a bit short on sockets so maybe need to get some double switched ones installed.

We had a lucky escape the other day with her bedside lamp. It kept flickering on and off but I couldn't work out why after stripping the lampholder and putting it back together. The wire looked fine too. When I plugged it in to try it again the cable close to the moulded plug started sparking and burnt through. It was a good job it didn't happen during the night or something. So now I'm paranoid and I've gone round and checked all the lamp cables to make sure they're all OK.

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Hope I'm not breaking any rules here....
What about flourescent fabric? Could be draped over a door, fixed in 'swags' like a handrail type of thing as a guide... etc etc.

With a light on, would be easily visible...... of course can't have anything which would be alarming to the patient either.

http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk/index.php?cPath=112

Lots of other sites available as well as this one, just google 'flourescent fabrics'

Lots of love, Necion. xx

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Never actually thought of that, the only problem there would be is would she know what the pieces of fabric are there for, but its something to consider.