Hello

crazychick

Feb 18, 2011
portsmouth hants
Good morning one and all, I have only just joined and thought I would introduce myself.My name is Rachel and I am a Health care Support worker working with people with different types of dementia. I absolutely love my job and the patients I work with.
Thats all for now as I dont want to bore you all

Bastan

Feb 10, 2011
Manchester
Hello and welcome Rchel,

I am new too but have already had lots of satisfaction. Dementia is a way of life for most of us, it consumes you and I for one find it difficult to envisage that life we led before this unwelcome guest moved in and took over..... I don't think you will bore us, it is always interesting to hear others point of view. xx

Logan

Nov 1, 2010
Hello Rachel, Thank you for deciding to do the vocational work which you do. You come across as a very caring and loving person and thank goodness there are still people like you. Lx

crazychick

Feb 18, 2011
portsmouth hants
Hi there thank you for your replies.
whilst I'm not in the same boat as most of the people on here, I can empathise and truly understand what you and your loved ones are going through.
As i have said already i work with people with dementia and absolutely love it.I get a great deal of job satisfaction from my patients. Its all so worth while.
My patients have different types of dementia and require different levels of intervention.I always try and treat them as individuals with dignity and repect,I'm a firm believer in person centred care.
I'm very much involved in activities and hate the thought of anyone having to sit for hrs with no stimulation.
Today is my day off but that doesn't stop me from thinking up new ideas and things to do, at present i'm arranging an outing for some of my patients and there families.I do this quite often and feel its beneficial to all.
I will pop on here from time to time to let you know how things are going, but wont intrude.

crazychick

Feb 18, 2011
portsmouth hants
Ahh Bless You

Ahh if only I could..........
But then I would have to leave the patients and there families who need me.
There are so many things that we can do for AD sufferers to make there life more bearable/enjoyable and I always try to concentrate on what they can do/feel etc.
Makes it all worthwhile when you get a smile

tish

Feb 8, 2011
Ahh if only I could..........
But then I would have to leave the patients and there families who need me.
There are so many things that we can do for AD sufferers to make there life more bearable/enjoyable and I always try to concentrate on what they can do/feel etc.
Makes it all worthwhile when you get a smile

It sounds like you really enjoy your job which is fantastic, im new to all of this too so id like to say welcome and occasionally may pick your brains (in a nice way) Take care x

Blue sky

Feb 11, 2011
Somerset
activities for those in care homes

Hiya

Im new to this web site too! I am a farmer & for the last year have been involved with a project called Let Nature Feed Your Senses....it offers free sensory rich farm experiences for those usually unable to access the countryside.

Last year I hosted approx 20 dementia residents in small groups, they came to our farm on a minibus in wheelchairs, they got close to farm animals, fed baby lambs, enjoyed watching a wool spinning demo, drank tea and those that were able ate cake surrounded by the beautiful countryside.

Some looked at old farming photographs and slowly were able to speak & remember with great joy happy days in their youth spent on a farm.

80 sites around England are available to visit. www.letnaturefeedyoursenses.org will provide you with more information. I just would like to get the message out to as many care homes as possible (especially in the South West area) that this wonderful free opportunity is available until October 2012, Spring is just around the corner.....& it would fantastic to see a few care homes taking advantage.

tish

Feb 8, 2011
Hiya

Im new to this web site too! I am a farmer & for the last year have been involved with a project called Let Nature Feed Your Senses....it offers free sensory rich farm experiences for those usually unable to access the countryside.

Last year I hosted approx 20 dementia residents in small groups, they came to our farm on a minibus in wheelchairs, they got close to farm animals, fed baby lambs, enjoyed watching a wool spinning demo, drank tea and those that were able ate cake surrounded by the beautiful countryside.

Some looked at old farming photographs and slowly were able to speak & remember with great joy happy days in their youth spent on a farm.

80 sites around England are available to visit. www.letnaturefeedyoursenses.org will provide you with more information. I just would like to get the message out to as many care homes as possible (especially in the South West area) that this wonderful free opportunity is available until October 2012, Spring is just around the corner.....& it would fantastic to see a few care homes taking advantage.

what a wonderful thing your offering x