hello

amanda jane

Feb 24, 2005
kent
Hi there,
I was searching the internet for further information regarding my nans health and accidently came across this site. This is such a great relief to know that I and my family are not alone is this terrible, terrible disease. My nan was diagnosed as having AD a few years ago but has deteriorated drastically in the last 6 months. She no longer recognises her family, can only speak a few words and even then we dont know what she is saying. It is so hard to watch someone you love dearly to become a complete stranger.
My grandad is no longer able to cope so we all believe that it is time for her to go to a home that can give her 24hr care. But how do you know if it is the right time and also the right place for her to go. I can remember before this disease took over my nans state of mind and she always said to me that if ever she got dementia she did not want to be a burden on the rest of the family and to put her away in a home. My nan previously worked in a nursing home and it broke her heart to watch patients deterioate just like her mother did. I know it is selfish but im also aware that as my great grandmother had dementia and also my nans two sisters who are still suffering from this disease. What chances have my mother and myself got. I can now understand why my nan said this. It is heart breaking to watch her fade away and to see my grandad go through the pain of not being able to comfort his wife that he has loved for so many years.
Thanks for listening
Amanda jane

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Amanda, welcome to TP. Sorry to hear your Nan is another sufferer of this horrid disease. You mentioned that she was diagnosed some years ago, so your GP should be able to help now. You may also be able to get a CPN or help from Social services in finding a suitable home for her. If you contact your local Alzheimers society branch, they will have a list of homes in your area. You will also find they can tell you a bit about them I expect. If you don't know the address of your local group, ring the helpline at head office and they will be able to tell you. This will be a difficult time for you all as a family and especially your grandad. Try to be brave and be there for each other. Once your Nan is in a home, you can visit her when ever you want or take her out. You will be able to give her quality time and make your visits something to really enjoy for her. It is worrying once other family members get this illness, take a look at our factsheets, I think there was one about the risks of it affecting other family members. Factsheets 450 &405, mention this and 532 deals with choosing a home.Please let us know how you get on and use TP to help you not bottle things up. Love She. XX

Last edited:

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Amanda,

Welcome to TP from me also. You don't mention in your post whether your Nan's doctor has referred her to a Consultant Psychiatrist or whether she is taking any medication for AD, such as Aricept or Ebixa. These drugs can sometimes really help in the short term.

I can also recommend a good book called 'Learning to Speak Altzheimer's. Speech becomes very difficult as AD progresses. You could order a copy from Amazon.

Do keep posting with all questions in the meantime.

Best wishes,

Jude

nikita

Jul 31, 2004
in the same boat

my gran also has alzheimers she was diagnosed 3 years ago, she is now in residential care, partly due to her old age (94), the saddest thing for me is that her other grandchildren rarely visit saying she doesnt know, i visit at least once a week and she still sometimes knows my name i treasure the time that i have left with her and know that time is numbered.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Nikita
sad that the other Grand children don't visit.
Some people cope better than others where AD is involved,perhaps the answer lies there.
One thing for sure you will have peace of mind knowing that you have done your best by your Gran.
Norman

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Nikita, it is lovely that you chose to visit your Nan, treasure your time with her, remember her as she was before the illness came and share those times with her now, be her memory for her. Love She. XX :)