Hello.

HappyDayz

Aug 30, 2021
Hello People been caring for Mrs on my own for quite a few years now,we make the best of each day,i gave up my job to be at home.It took a while to get diagnosed, i think that has got beter for people i hope.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @HappyDayz Welcome to Talking Point.

Sorry it took a while for your Mrs to get a diagnosis. I doubt it`s got any better over the years there are still many other causes of behaviour changes which seem to need to be ruled out before dementia is diagnosed.

Giving up your job to become a full time carer is to be admired but I hope you will know when to ask for help.

I hope you will get the help and support you need from others on the forum.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Hello People been caring for Mrs on my own for quite a few years now,we make the best of each day,i gave up my job to be at home.It took a while to get diagnosed, i think that has got beter for people i hope.
I don’t know how old you are, but take care about not working. Getting back into the job market after several years unemployment could be tough.

It still takes years for a diagnosis. Mum has been “changing“ for a while but was only diagnosed in February this year.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hello @HappyDayz im lucky in that i asked outright was it vascular to the gp. referred to memory clinic and diagnosis but it took me to ask her the specific question. ive felt on my own until knowing about the forum and finding a dementia navigator. have you any support organisations such as carers uk or alz. soc. navigators, dementia friends, admiral nurses even only for a listening ear or a sounding board? any advice you need or even if you have found a better way of doing things that you can share with others is so helpful.

HappyDayz

Aug 30, 2021
Yo! People,I'm in my sixties,so I'm not going back to work,my works here and I'm cream crackered..The Mrs is crying alot lately, probably 24/7 with me ?? can't get to memory cafe again it's to far and mrs is sleeping sleeping sleeping, and grumpy grumpy when she wakes up...made it too Sainsbury's today,but it knackers us both..booked hairdressers hope we can do it...??

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
..booked hairdressers hope we can do it.

I hope you can do it too @HappyDayz It sounds as if you are really isolated and that`s not good. The sleeping times are manageable but the grumpy times are tough and I hope you are taking care of yourself too.

Please do not hold back if you need help. It`s thin on the ground I know but if you don`t ask you won`t get.

I`m pleased you`re updating here. :)

yourbestjudy

Sep 30, 2021
Hi @HappyDayz .....Sounds like you and the Mrs are having a really tough time. There are so many challenges to being a fulltime caregiver and it requires us to be superhuman (and none of us are!). I really hope you get some time to look after yourself too, and that you got chance to get to that hairdresser appointment. Those moments are really important. Always good to have something on the horizon to look forward to, whatever that is and however big or small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75