Hello

Wendy_M

May 7, 2021
Hi everyone, just joined today, my mum has vascular dementia, she was diagnosed in 2019. I‘m hoping to find some advice and support on how to support my mum. She is currently in a care home and has been there for 8 weeks but she’s not happy and frequently talks about being near me, although she doesn’t say she wants to go home. Has anyone else experienced this and how did they manage it, I’m thinking of taking my mum home.
I hope I am able to support others in this group as well as getting some advice thanks everyone xx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Wendy_M

I have often read that it can take quite a while for a person to settle in a new home so I would hold off thinking about a move for a while yet. It may also be worthwhile talking to the staff at the Home as your mum may be more settled that you think.

Tiamaria88

Jun 21, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Hello
Hi everyone, just joined today, my mum has vascular dementia, she was diagnosed in 2019. I‘m hoping to find some advice and support on how to support my mum. She is currently in a care home and has been there for 8 weeks but she’s not happy and frequently talks about being near me, although she doesn’t say she wants to go home. Has anyone else experienced this and how did they manage it, I’m thinking of taking my mum home.
I hope I am able to support others in this group as well as getting some advice thanks everyone xx
Hello Wendy, my mum was very unsettled for quite a period of time, I think most are. My mum did keep wanting to go home which was always upsetting because home was with her mum and dad not us. This is so upsetting for everyone, but we were not capable of looking after her at that point because she would escape the house and go wandering. No matter how the keys were hidden for the doors mum would find them. I agree with Pete above, it is heartbreaking but the staff are trained to deal with this and your mum is most probably is settled. At some point your mum will stop asking to go home. It is all so very very sad.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi and welcome to TP @Wendy_M , my partner is also a dementia sufferer but as yet quite a way from needing moving to a home but constantly tells me she wont go in one although initially she was insisting on being found a suitable one. I am sure you will get loads of support and advice from others on here such as that from @Tiamaria88 , good luck

Wendy_M

May 7, 2021
Hello and welcome @Wendy_M

I have often read that it can take quite a while for a person to settle in a new home so I would hold off thinking about a move for a while yet. It may also be worthwhile talking to the staff at the Home as your mum may be more settled that you think.

Wendy_M

May 7, 2021
Thank you everyone for all your replies and support. In the past three weeks my mum‘s had a UTI which took two lots of antibiotics to clear and then she had a fall and cut her finger badly which is now Infected and is on more antibiotics, so its been a bit of a rollercoaster for her. I’ll have to wait and see how she gets on.
thanks again everyone