Hello, yes, I'm the daughter

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I agree, am trying not to stress about the scan. Dad hasn't been to memory clinic, they came to him! Sorry that your mum was given that rather unsatisfactory result, although sounds like it worked out in the end... although it does take a crisis doesn't it...

Thanks, my nan has always been a rock to us all and I can't imagine life without her. I also know she can't live forever, but she doesn't deserve this.
take heart a little, my Mums diagnosis last year meant she was prescribed memantine- wow what a positive thing thats has been. I’ve never had the best relationship with Mum, but since on the drug the night confabulations have stopped, mums no longer lashing out at me, & actually cuddled me last week! I can’t tell you how lovely that was.

As Dementia progresses it doesn’t always mean the same for everyone, medication can & sometimes does give respite.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
take heart a little, my Mums diagnosis last year meant she was prescribed memantine- wow what a positive thing thats has been. I’ve never had the best relationship with Mum, but since on the drug the night confabulations have stopped, mums no longer lashing out at me, & actually cuddled me last week! I can’t tell you how lovely that was.

As Dementia progresses it doesn’t always mean the same for everyone, medication can & sometimes does give respite.
I am hopeful the scan will lead to us at least trying some medication. If it did the same for dad as it did for your mum it would certainly make things easier at the home. Thanks for replying!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Dad's had his scan. Dr went to see him today. He has a blood clot on his brain. I don't know what that means, exactly, vascular dementia? Anyone know?

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Sorry no experience of this but I'd guess if he does have dementia it would be vascular dementia . Did dr say if dad had dementia or only say that he had a blood clot? I just wondered could the blood clot be the problem and it not be dementia at all? Could the memory loss and other difficulties be temporary due to the clot? If he suggested any treatment or medication maybe you google what its used for and that might help identify it. I hope you get more info soon so you can find out exactly what is causing dads memory difficulties X

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Sorry no experience of this but I'd guess if he does have dementia it would be vascular dementia . Did dr say if dad had dementia or only say that he had a blood clot? I just wondered could the blood clot be the problem and it not be dementia at all? Could the memory loss and other difficulties be temporary due to the clot? If he suggested any treatment or medication maybe you google what its used for and that might help identify it. I hope you get more info soon so you can find out exactly what is causing dads memory difficulties X
They said he had dementia, and they wanted to do a scan to see if there was any physical cause or damage, and now they have found a clot. I suspect this is connected to the falls he had last autumn. The decline has been going on for so long I can't believe it's just a blood clot causing it all? And also he doesn't want a brain op, and there's no medication that they think will help. Thanks for answering though, it sounds like we're thinking along the same lines!

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
They said he had dementia, and they wanted to do a scan to see if there was any physical cause or damage, and now they have found a clot. I suspect this is connected to the falls he had last autumn. The decline has been going on for so long I can't believe it's just a blood clot causing it all? And also he doesn't want a brain op, and there's no medication that they think will help. Thanks for answering though, it sounds like we're thinking along the same lines!
Sorry x Sounds like probably vascular dementia then like you said. I hope that the dr visit isn't it though and they refer you back to memory team or someone for more info and help or at least send a fuller written diagnosis or something and don't just leave you to it (X)

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Sorry x Sounds like probably vascular dementia then like you said. I hope that the dr visit isn't it though and they refer you back to memory team or someone for more info and help or at least send a fuller written diagnosis or something and don't just leave you to it (X)
Oh yes me too -I 'm going to make a telephone appointment and try to find out what's going on and what the options are. It's been a very slow and long road to all this stuff and I'm so far away...
Hope you are having an ok weekend annielou, I read all your posts and really feel for you x