1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Sarasa

Sarasa Registered User

Apr 13, 2018
    I think call the solicitor and see how the land lies. Certainly its much easier to do things with LPA. I knew my mother didn't want to pay towards something at her block of flats that all the other residents had agreed to so I just paid it on her behalf and didn't tell her.
    It's a shame it got as far as solicitors getting involved.

2. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    The sort of letter is a fairly standard letter. The fact that they've emailed you indicates they have an inkling of what is going on.

I'd speak to the solicitors. I assume it is for costs which relate to the period he was living there, rather than a notice period. Hopefully they will hold off until you've got LPA through.

3. imthedaughter

imthedaughter Registered User

Apr 3, 2019
    Thanks I think I will do that. The old centre claims he 'has capacity' but as we know that doesn't mean you have any personal organisation! That centre was the one which stopped feeding dad (claiming he was having free food). However I did remind dad about it before.

I think I will call the solicitor and hope they are reasonable. Unfortunately their client is not above spreading lies, rumour and misinformation but there you go. They already started telling other people on site that dad was an alcoholic and that he was living in his car... Both lies as it turned out, not that it's any of their business in the first place.

4. imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
    Yes it's fees he didn't pay as he hadn't had his house money through yet. They served him notice so I suppose that is less of a risk!

5. imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
    I spoke to the solicitor last month and explained it all. She seemed to be reasonable and I explained the situation. She said she would send the letter to dad and then we could stay in touch on the LPA status. Unfortunately I was expecting the LPAs through by now. I even gave a good posting gap after they said they were going to send them almost two weeks ago. I hope no one has somehow disrupted the process - either dad or someone in the family. I know his niece has been in touch but I hope she's not interfering, she has no idea what we've been through.

Dad was quite concerned by the solicitor letter and feels they are asking for more than he owes. I agree, I have a more up to date invoice which acknowledges dad making a cash payment before he left. Cheeky sods are well aware of that. However dad has now forgotten it so I will take it up independently.

When I spoke to dad yesterday he was very chatty wanting to talk about animals we had as pets and sport and tennis players. He was watching Wimbledon on the TV last week. He seems happy in the home although food issues are ongoing. The home tries to give him meat substitutes and he doesn't trust them. However I spoke to the manager and they are working with him on it. He's eating some fish as well (he's always been more pescatarian than fully vegetarian) and they can manage that. All in all it's going well and I'm a lot less stressed now he has some money in the bank and people looking after him.

6. Sirena

Sirena Registered User

Feb 27, 2018
    Female
    Do you mean they said they were posting the LPAs to you/your dad two weeks ago, and they haven't arrived? If so, I'd be on the phone as something has gone wrong. It could be just that they haven't been sent and need prompting, but whatever the reason you need to know what's happening.

7. imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
    I may have been tempting fate by posting this morning but both LPAs arrived safely today!

They wrote to say they would post them the week of 5 July so it's been almost two weeks but I note the LPA wasn't registered until 11 July.

It's taken exactly three months to get these through so anyone else in this position who is reading... The whole 'it can take eight weeks' thing for us was more like 12. W(no real complications once we started the second LPA after my brother lost the first one :rolleyes:
    )

8. Sirena

Sirena Registered User

Feb 27, 2018
    Female
    Oh that's great - must be a relief to have them in your possession now. Don't let hte originals out of your sight, if you need to send one in the post you will need to get a certified copy and send that (they are not always returned even though they should be).