Hello to everyone

souley

Apr 30, 2015
BURY LANCS
Hi just joined the site ! Mum has Alzheimers and any suggestions for coping with and for helping mum would be appreciated :)

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
I'm coping with mum caring for dad with mixed dementia /vascular /Alzheimer so I'm no expert , plenty of helpful knowledge here though, stick around.
Wanted to welcome you to TP.

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi
When my Mum was diagnosed I found it helpful to get as much info as possible. I attended a dementia awareness course which was really useful. I am sure there will be some in your area if you were interested. On a practical note have you obtained power of attorney for health and welfare and financial? If not I would urge you to do this asap as it becomes very difficult later on without this. Also, your Mum might be entitled to attendance allowance and council tax exemption or reduction. I found that the Alzheimers society were very helpful in helping me fill in all the paperwork which can be a bit overwhelming.The extra money helps pay for Mum to attend a day center which she enjoys and it gives me a break as well. There is help out there but you do have to look for it I am afraid.
Mainly though please try to find time for yourself. Very difficult but essential as the illness progresses. I found that I was so intent on making sure my Mum was safe and as happy as possible that I was becoming ill myself. Enlist as much help as possible so you feel that your are not getting overwhelmed. I wish I had taken my own advice a few years ago.......

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Hi just joined the site ! Mum has Alzheimers and any suggestions for coping with and for helping mum would be appreciated :)

hi and welcome to TP, I too am fairly new here and deffo inexperienced with what others on here have /are going thro', so yes stick around and you will learn a lot, well I have