Hello there! My dad is hearing voices

scrufy

Aug 11, 2008
surrey, BC
My dad has boarderline dementia sorry for the spelling, My dad heres voices and can see people, It's very scary when i first discovered there was somthing wrong with my dad. It came as a shock to me , So i took my dad to see a doctor and he gave dad Seriquil but not working my dad still talk to the voices he heres.

Is there anyone who could give me advice about my dad, it would be most appreciated.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello scrufy, warm welcome to TP.

I am assuming that repeat prescriptions come from his local GP.
Does he get reveiwed regularly?

If the GP will not talk to you direct, and some don't unfortunately, I would drop him a note, letting him know that your dad's medication needs revewing.

Does dad have a Social Worker or someone similar that you could talk to? Remember you can always ring your local Alzheimer's Society office for help too.

You don't say whether dad lives on his own, or with you.
Certainly sounds as if dad needs more help to manage his condition at the moment.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:

Connie is so right - you (your Dad) need a review regarding medication and hearing things.

It may be the medication causing this problem , but hearing/seeing things can be a problem of Alz./Dementia.

My husband who is well down the line with Alz. does frequently feel vibrations, hear music, hear water noises. Non are proven as I do not hear the same things :rolleyes:

However I do feel these symptoms are fairly mild in the whole picture. I do hope you get more comments as it is a tricky thing to handle.

Love Jan

Trich

Aug 16, 2007
France
Hi Scrufy,
Just wanted to say I know how scary the whole hallucination thing is. None of my family realised initially the extent of the problem and I think we tried to 'rationalise' what dad was saying rather than admit there was a problem. Dad started seeing things and he used to call them 'ghosts and goulies'. Dad wasn't frightened by them even though one little boy used to brandish a knife at him! These eventually got to such an extent that he was living in a 'virtual world' most of the time. At this point he still communicated with us when we visited or telephoned but was on his own for long periods and was convinced he had a 'family of squatters who lived with him'. It really used to freak me out! I spoke to the doctor and asked him to arrange for a psycho geretrician (I think that's right) to visit dad at home and assess him and at this point he was on no medication. The trouble was dad could still be quite convincing unless you knew the questions to ask like "was there anybody else in the room". Then you would hear about the 'person in the chair who wouldn't talk to him and the dog who followed him around etc. My dad was eventually diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia but I am sure there are many other conditions which exhibit these symptons. Please ask for more help from the professionals as it's not something anyone can cope with on their own. You will get lots of support here and some good information from people who have been there and understand how you feel.
Best wishes, Trich

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My dad heres voices and can see people,

Does your father became distressed when he hearers voices & see people ?

Even thought I know how shocking it can became for us when we see someone we love talking to the voices .

Last edited: