Hello, Thank you for a wonderful forum

Antonio

Jun 25, 2004
Derbyshire
www.audio-bible.com
Hello:)

I'm from Derbyshire and my mam is 70 now, and she has been diagnosed "dementia" "severe memory" loss (not sure if its full Alzheimers as such yet). Anyway, after what seemed like years of waiting, we finally got my mam on the drug ARICEPT, It is the 5mg one (I understand there are 10mg versions as well).

She has been on it since May 15th of this year, so relatively short really. What I would like to know is: what is the best time to take this pill? (morning/tea-time/evening)- and should you take it before or after food....or doesn't it matter?. Anyway, though no miracles are to be expected after this short of time on the pill - or any time really, she has been beter in her moods since she went on them (from about 2 weeks ago i would say).

Anyway, that's just a short post to say I'm happy to see your forum, and share with others. My mum, it seems, is this way because of hereditary I would say (My mam is one of ten children - 5 female 5 male, and, including my mam, 4 are alive. Half of her family had/have memory disorders, but the other half don't/didn't. It was her "DADs' side that was the memory problem I think. Well, my mam is fit and well, but hope to see progress in the memory department with the ARICEPT pill (despite recen surveys by NHS etc, that I'm sure you've hear of)

Thanks for listening.

Antonio

XXX:)

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
Hi Antonio

welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find it a godsend like the rest of us. Don't know much about Aricept but I am sure the society should have some information sheets on the web.

regards

Geraldine

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi Antonio,

From experience, I'm sure my mum was told to give dad his Aricept just before bed time. She was also told to make sure that he avoided any alcohol or caffine if possible.

One thing for sure is that the tablet is best taken at the same time every day (as with most medicines) if at all possible

Hopefully someone will pipe up with a more factual medical answer.

take care
Charlie

Antonio

Jun 25, 2004
Derbyshire
www.audio-bible.com
Hi Geraldine:)

Thanks for the reply,

When I read the statistics about the Alzheimers research versus Heart/Cancer, I was dissapointed - to be honest. There is so much research needed to be done out there for this disease, as my older sister (44) isn't 100% with here memory as such, so "you don't get Alzheimers till your 70+" is a false statement - if one has been made that is.

What it's affecting, of course, is family and relatives. Though ironically, my oldest sister (49 today actually) has been a nurse for nearly 30 years, but has very little to do with my mam. It is my "untrained" sister (44 year old one) that puts 99.9% of work towards my mam's well being. She really loves my mam ever so, and is always Optimistic. My elder sister (nurse) as seen too many cases of Alzheimers, and is VERY BLUNT - not nice perhaps, but very blunt nevertheless.

Thanks for listening geraldine, and have a nice evening,

Antonio

PS: makes you wonder were all this lottery money is going to doesn't it? Sorry if I go over the top sometimes but Alzheimers is NOT getting a fair deal - but a RAW one.

Antonio777a@hotmail is my MSM handle BTW

Antonio

Jun 25, 2004
Derbyshire
www.audio-bible.com
Originally posted by Charlie
Hi Antonio,

From experience, I'm sure my mum was told to give dad his Aricept just before bed time. She was also told to make sure that he avoided any alcohol or caffine if possible.

One thing for sure is that the tablet is best taken at the same time every day (as with most medicines) if at all possible

Hopefully someone will pipe up with a more factual medical answer.

take care
Charlie

Thanks charlie.

I give her the pill at 4.00 PM in the afternoon (now) it was at night time, but she sometimes needs Nitrazepam (mogadon) to make her sleep. I take those too.

Thank you

Antonio

XXX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there Antonio.

We were told that my husband should take the Aricept at bedtime and at the same time each night. He does, however, still take the occasional dram and doesn't seem to be any the worse for it!

Izzy

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Antonio
we were advised by the consultant to take the Aricept at bedtime
that was 7 years ago.Started on 5mg now on 10 mg.
There seems to be no adverse reaction to coffee.
Best Wishes
Norman

Denise

Jul 21, 2003
Manchester
Hi Antonio

Glad you have seen an improvement since your mum has been on Aricept.

My mum was prescribed Aricept about 18 months ago, she always takes it in the morning at the same time (thereabouts)and I think that it probably has slowed her deterioration ( but then again who knows what she would have been like without it???).

I think in our case - it has at least helped us feel that we are doing something in the fight against this dreadful illness.

Mum has got worse in the last month or so - the "memory Nurse" did say that the effects of the medication can be shortlived.

One other thing - since taking Aricept Mum has suffered from a burning sensation in her feet - no one seems to know the cause or how to stop it.

Anyway good luck
Denise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suzanne F