Hello "Strong"

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
My Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimers 5months ago!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strong said:
I'm 33 and my mother was diagnosed 5 months ago of Alzheimers at the age of 60. I'm the youngest of two boys and very close to her. It started a couple of years ago and nobody would listen. She repeated herself alot. She is my bestfriend,mother,dad everything to me so it's sad to see her like this. I'm new at this so any information would be great. My mom is at the point she can't cook meals or even write her own name and repeats herself more than ever she also can't say what she wants like get the broom etc.. She has a heart the size of the world and so strong. She raised me and my older brother worked her butt off so we could have the best clothes sneakers. We didn't have money but she gave us love and put food on the table and raised us to be good people. She understands that she has it and we joke about it when she says something 20 times but when she can't remember something I let her try to tell me what it is.. I thought crosswords and being around other people it would help her. She doesn't want to go to a daycare, she's happy at home. I think she does good at home but needs to get out. I see her 5 times a week and talk to her everyday but I think I have to get a nurse to help her. I'm buying a house and she's going to move in with me this spring. She will still have her own apartment inlaw and I'll get a nurse when I go to work. Anyway sorry to blab but any information anyone could help me with on Alzheimers would be great.... Thanks

I've reproduced the above as it was mixed in with another thread, and I thought it would get more replies as a stand-alone entry - Lynne.
-------------------------------

Hi there Strong,
Your Mum sounds like such a brilliant person, and she must be so proud of you.
Well done for caring for her so far, & enabling her to retain her humour & dignity.

As regards information, I'm sure you'll learn a lot from just reading other posts here, but the Alzheimer's Society factsheets are really good too. Just click on the "i Factsheets" tab at the very top left of the screen and you will find loads. I'm not sure where you live (US?) so if you are outside the UK some of the information on money matters & benefits may differ, but the information about symptoms etc. is - unfortunately - accurate worldwide.

Best wishes

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hello Strong.

Glad you have found TP, it's a fantastic way of getting support on the good, and not so good days.

You and your mum seem to have things well sorted out between you, which is fantastic. If mum is happy with her own company at the moment, I would leave well alone. However, if you think that someone visiting her at home may help, suggest you contact Social Services to see what befriending services are available in your area.

Good luck with the move in the Spring. Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.
Love
Cate

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Welcome to Talking Point. You will learn HEAPS here and can share your triumphs, your frustrations, your fears and your successes. Wishing you and your lovely Mum all the best - Nell.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Strong,
Welcome to TP.

Has your mum been put on any medication to try and slow down the progress of the illness - if not, it might be worth asking some questions?

Advice? Take lots of pictures, build good memories for yourself now; get support ready in place - the GP can organise a CPN to call on your mum; find out what social services can offer. Have you got a local Alzheimers Society, see what they have on offer? You may not need any of this yet,but if you look into it now, then you know where to turn for help when it is needed?

How is mum managing her finances? If you don't already have an EPA (Enduring Power of Attorney), you need to get one signed. The forms can be downloaded from the internet. Again it is a case of being prepared in advance.

Ask lots of questions on here. TP members have far more experience of the system and the illness than any 'professionals'.
Love Helen

Strong

Dec 2, 2006
Medford
Thankyou everybody for your help!!!

Sorry it's been so long for responding, I've been working 15 hour days.Anyway thankyou for fixing my message and everybody's help.My mom is on medication for the Alzheimers and she collects SSC.It's been tough for me lately because of work and she says I don't have time for her.I'm a athlete and in good condition but I don't want to run myself into the ground.She's getting worse lastweek she left the top of the (electric not gas) oven on and the next day fell asleep with candles lit,took wrong dose of medication.I can't be everywhere.It scares me that something will happen to her when I'm not around.I don't have a social worker for her yet.I do have doctors and now have to look into getting one.I don't have much help but that's life.I don't mean to talk about my problems everybody does I just wanted to thank everyone for the nice messages and if anyone has any more information that would be great.I live in Boston Ma . Thanks again

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Strong

If she's getting absent minded about safety issues, you may have to be more forceful about getting her to daycare - at least that would be one period of the day when you wouldn't be worrying about what was happening. I'm afraid there comes a point in time when you have to weigh the rights of the individual, and the habits of a lifetime, against the safety not only of your mother, but the people who live around her. Honestly, I would remove every candle - just as candles aren't allowed in student housing, they shouldn't be around dementia sufferers. At least in Boston, you should have access to a variety of top-level medical care, although I'm not sure what is available in terms of scoial care. One of the TP members (Rummy - are you out there?) lives in the states so may have more pointers. I do too (Pittsburgh , PA), but my mother is in the UK, so have little experience of what is available "on the ground" over here.

Jennifer

Strong

Dec 2, 2006
Medford
Hi Jennifer

Thankyou for your info.Your right about candles I'm going to do that because I thought it would be okay for decorations.I took her lighter,matches but she uses the stove.Do you think I should shut it off too?I'm looking into daycare and thanks again.I hope all is well with you .Chris

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think shutting of the stove would depend on whther you think that, thwarted there, she would search for other, even more unsafe options. My mother, if you shut off an appliance would just not do anything, but others would go so far to try and track down the problem and rectify it, even if it meant taking the kitchen to pieces, or alternatively, approaching a stranger to help. My mum has never been terribly practical about things, but if you've been used to solving such practical problems well...

Take care

Jennifer