1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Hello on 24 January 2016

Discussion in 'I have dementia' started by dbrilyant, Jan 24, 2016.

1. dbrilyant

dbrilyant Registered User

Sep 14, 2014
    I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about a year ago.
    I am coming to terms with increasing memory loss. I have acknowledged my problems to friends, colleagues and family, who have been outstandingly supportive. I thank God for them and his care shown through them. An unknown country lies ahead of me but I have put my hand into the hand of God as I walk through it.
    Coping strategies, humour, drugs and a realistic cutting back of commitments have helped to keep me in control of my life so far.
    I would welcome contact with people in the same sort of situation.

2. Quilty

Quilty Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    GLASGOW
    Im a carer so not who you are looking for. I am very hlad to have you here on tp to help carers understand from your point if view. Hope you get others soon. Xx

3. john51

john51 Registered User

Apr 26, 2014
    Male
    Dunstable, Bedfordshire
    Hiya
    I was diagnosed with vascular dementia nearly 2 years ago. In the last year I have been found to have Alzheimer's with levy bodies too. I have had to retire from work as teacher and also had my license taken away.
    I think we will have lots in common.
    John

4. dbrilyant

Sep 14, 2014
    I managed to retire from teaching some years before diagnosis but am glad I don't have to teach any more! I guess your position is more painful but hey! no more classrooms to face.

5. Aitchbee

Aitchbee Registered User

Nov 3, 2013
    Hi dbrilyant. Welcome to TP. I am sure you will find lots of support here. Glad you have got such supportive and understanding family and friends. Sounds like you have good coping strategies and a strong faith. Hang on to God, He'll be with you every step of the way

6. john51

john51 Registered User

Apr 26, 2014
    Male
    Dunstable, Bedfordshire
    Like you I am quite glad to have left teaching. To have gone from an outstanding teacher to an inadequate one was painful. I have found a place in school as a volunteer listening to year 1, 2 and 3 children read. The school accepts what I can do and it helps me feel needed.

7. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I think it's great you're listening to children read. They need so much encouragement.

8. dbrilyant

Sep 14, 2014
    What a good idea!
    I lead simple health walks around my town centre. My clients know they have to remind me of their names!

9. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

Hi dbrilyant
    good to see you on the forum
    I was diagnosed with Vad 5 years ago(i think"!)
    you obviously have a positive outlook on life
    I too am hanging onto the hand of God!
    Tomorrow I am giving 2 talks on making memory books and memory boxes at our local library I do try to keep active and do stuff
    Looking forward to getting to know you better
    Sarah

10. dbrilyant

Sep 14, 2014
    I thought I had replied but must have been outwitted by the technology! Thank-you for the encouragement and I really like your motto.

11. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

Heres a photo I took

Attached Files:

12. aprilbday

aprilbday Registered User

Jan 27, 2016
    Washington, DC USA
    Hi Bill-

My PET- Scan came back NORMAL! I do NOT have Alzheimer's my neurologist says!!!!!
    Since I have memory challenges, he said there is some form of dementia -wasn't told what kind- and to change my Aircept by increasing to 20 Mgs then tapering off if it doesn't help and switching to something that sounds like namenda-think that's the name.
    But ...I am of a different mindset now!!! Since the Pet-Scan determined that I don't have Alzheimers-I am actually quitting my medicine!!! Why take it if I don't have those tangles and plaques?
    Right?
    I seriously do not know what day it is from one hour to the next unless I look at my watch, forget my students names, everything takes longer to do...., forget common words, get lost or "almost lost" 3-4 days of the week on the way to work, check the stove 50 times (exaggeration) to make sure it's off, etc. - just a terrible time. But I have been cleared for not Alzheimers and not vascular. Neurologist said the scan was "normal".
    Yay!
    But then again...what the heck kind of dementia do I have?