hello - new member

ginger2007

Jan 9, 2008
I just wanted to say hi to everyone, this is my first post.
It's been comforting reading all your correspondence so I wanted to be able to offer my support too....and ask lots of questions!
My dad has had dementia for just over a year now and is still living at home.
I am worried about my mum. I live an hour away though my sister is a lot closer to home. Although dad goes to the AD cafe once a week, mum is finding it increasingly difficult to cope, made worse by lack of sleep. Dad wakes up in the night and wanders, sometimes not waking mum up, but he is at the stage where he could hurt himself.
I know this is really common, just wondered if anyone had any coping tactics?!

best wishes
ginger:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Ginger, welcome to TP.

I`m sorry your mother is having so many disturbed nights, it`s hard enough to care 24/7 without losing sleep as well.

If your father is happy going to the Alzheimers Cafe, would he be willing to go to day centres? If your mother could arrange some day care for him, the increased activity might make him sleep better.

Just a thought.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Hello and welcome

You don't say which area you live in but there is support for Mum from her local Alzheimer's group, Crossroads, Admiral Nurses and Memory Clinic.

You will get loads of support and good advice from this site so post often

Linda x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Ginger, and welcome.

I can sympathise with your mum, I cared for my husband at home for seven years, and I found the sleepless nights very hard to cope with.

Sadly, he's now in a NH. I miss him so much, and I still don't sleep much!:(

Keep posting, you'll find lots of support here.

Love,

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Ginger, welcome,

On this rocky road through Alzheimers only one thing is certain, uncertainty. After years of being woken in the night, now Mary is in a care home I wake up wodering why nobody has woken me up!

Silly me , there is one other certainty, you will always be certain of support and understanding on TP.

Keep posting, pose your questions and express your fears and some one will give you answers and advice.

Hugs

Dick