Hello. new member, very happy to have found you all...

Franchat

Jun 21, 2015
Hello whoever's out there. This is my first message so not quite sure...

My story is - I'm looking after my mother as her only carer. Still have my own home so travelling back and forth every day - only a few miles but have no transport so rely on buses/taxis. Got my dad through it a few years ago but was then supporting mum (who was pretty ok then). Have no help or support from family now. Have a brother who was no help when dad was ill and since then has himself had a stroke. Quite disabled, though had an adapted car and manages to get himself out to jazz clubs, nice restaurants holidays in France and more! Just wants to get carers in as it would suit him but wouldn't solve out particular problems. Still mum's blue-eyed boy tho'. Always has been and now she has no facility to recognize his self-serving nature!. He has a daughter who is also pretty useless and has never offered, or when asked, given any help or support.

Don't want this to sound too much like I'm being a martyr, just nice to 'vent' as no-one gets it, or seems to care. Pretty awful morning again, as they always are so nice to 'talk'.

It's so hard, isn't it? I've had big, well paid jobs, my own businesses, lovely relationships (my on/off partner of 32 years died last year. Such a lovely man). And I'm facing 60 in a few weeks! Now all I do is clean, wash shop and get no acknowledgement or appreciation, in fact the opposite as mum can be very nasty.

Ah well. That actually feels better. I know from reading other peoples' messages that we are all going through this horrible thing so love to you all. We've just got to keep going. X

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Hi Franchat, glad you found Taking Point, we all help each other on here with information, a sympathetic ear or just a chat.

My OH and I share a house with my mum who has mild Alzheimer's (she can also be quite nasty) and I have found TP invaluable.

Keep posting with any questions you have as someone can usually help, or join in the threads already going.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Hi Franchat!

I've certainly found some useful info here as well as great support.

I'm very lucky in that I have a supportive brother. Just as well as my Dad has Vascular Parkinsonism and Mum has Vascular Dementia! :eek: Luckily she ISN'T nasty or violent - so far. My problems are with our hapless NHS who seem to be determined to c*ck up every single little aspect of my parents' care and, as we are averaging about 3 medical appointments A WEEK between them at the moment that creates a lot of work!

I do find venting here is excellent therapy so go for it, better out than in!

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Welcome Franchat, you've come to the right place. I hope you find as much comfort here as I do. My MIL lives with us and has mixed dementia, it's very hard sometimes and great to come here and vent.

MIL in respite at the mo so we're foot loose and fancy free!!