Hello My First Day

sue1

Apr 15, 2008
wales
Hi Everyone,
Let me introduce myself im sue and my Mum has just been diagnosed with vascular dementia. Mum has ongoing problems arthritis,numerous dvts,pes and now tias she has been on wafarin for the last 5 years. She started having falls and was referred to a fall clinic at local hospital where she would receive pyshio,gentle exercises lunch and a chat. I kept on voicing my opinons about Mums memory problems which they seems to put down to age (Mums 71 last month).We have now seen a geriatric psychologist who has said mum has lost her calculus, she struggled with paying bills etc which is so out of character . They found her cholesterol to be high and started her on torvastin for this, my main problem is mum is forgetting to take new meds and also her wafarin !! I do her meds in a medicine pot for her, she also has medicine alarms , white boards, diaries which she removes from room as they are untidy,I ring her at 6pm to remind her but now have to talk her through going and taking meds before I finish conversation,she tends to sleep at this time of day and will doze back off if I dont . Mum is having brain scan on Monday to see extent of damage. At the moment she has a UTI infection so not sure if her illness is bad a t present moment due to this.
Many thanks for reading this post

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hello Sue

I cannot give advice with your problem. But I am sure other's will follow.
Keep posting, help is here.
Barb:)

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hello Sue1

It is very important that your mother take her medication and I know this can become a problem because memory aids can begin not to work. If you are concerned then I would imagine your mum is entitled to assistance - i.e. a carer coming in to make sure she takes medication at right times.

Best wishes

Helen

Laylabud

Sep 7, 2007
Kent
Hello Sue

Welcome to TP.

I am so sorry to hear of all your Mum's problems.
There are a lot of good people on here that can offer help, support etc, i am fairly new here myself and still learning new things about this disease so i am not the best person to offer advice at this stage. I wish you and your Mum well and hope the scan goes ok for her and pray that the results are not too bad.
Keep us updated on her progress

Laylabud

sue1

Apr 15, 2008
wales
Thankyou Helen, the hospital OT dept have been out to assess home living and have recommended mums name be out down for new care home, people live in own flats but have cooked meal and carers, would it be the gp I would contact to set up this ?

sue1

Apr 15, 2008
wales
Many thanks laylabud for your kind words I too am praying for a positive scan result where we can enjoy some fun times together before Mum becomes too poorly

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thankyou Helen, the hospital OT dept have been out to assess home living and have recommended mums name be out down for new care home, people live in own flats but have cooked meal and carers, would it be the gp I would contact to set up this ?

Hello Sue.
If the hospital OT department have done an assessment and have a reccommendation, they should see it through and you shouldn`t need to contact anyone.

But things move slowly, and if you don`t hear anything within a month, I would phone and give them a gentle nudge.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
I am not really sure Sue but if it was me I would start with Social Services. It might also be worth while really thinking about housing needs for your mother because if she has a dementia she may need more help in a fairly short period of time and that would mean her moving again which can be very distressing for all concerned.

I am not professing to know very much myself, as I'm learning as I go along but there's no harm in trying to make sure that you get the best possible help that you can for your mum. Personally I would think the medication issue is a priority because your mother's inability to understand what needs to be taken when makes this dangerous to her and that shouldn't be allowed.

Love Helen

sue1

Apr 15, 2008
wales
Thankyou for replies ladies i appreciate them all. Helen i will contact relevant authorities tomorrow regarding carer calling at 6pm (cant guarantee il have finished work by then). I am mums sole carer so hopefully her gp or ot will try and sort out the meds problem