Hello - mum throwing things out

lindy61

Nov 21, 2018
Hiya my mam has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers. Its getting harder day by day. Her latest trick is throwing things out. Today she threw out her smart meter, a photo of her great granddaughter complete with frame that she would never throw out but for AD, remote controls, towels, etc etc. She's throwing out more and more every day. She's so quiet now too. Watches just one channel on the TV. Phones me repeatedly once I leave her house. She says she doesnt have memory problems too. You cannot reason with her. You have to say things in the simplest of terms. She can't remember being married to my dad. Its just all very hard.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @lindy61
a warm welcome to TP
it must be heart breaking to see anything treasured thrown out - sadly it is a familiar symptom; my dad went through a stage of wanting to 'clear out' and actually seemed happier when rooms were decluttered
maybe take away any items that are of value, either monetary or sentimental, and keep tham safe yourself - you could take copies of photos and keep the originals, then only thd frame is lost or the album they were in, but you will have the precious photos - definitely hunt out key documents so they are available if needed
speaking of documents, look into arranging Lasting Powers of Attorney if not already done as these will make it easier for you to manage her affairs in the future

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I agree with the above. Maybe arrange a trip out for Mum if you can, and then remove any important items before she returns. I found my Mum gets attached to different things as the disease progresses - fleecy items, watch etc and so if other items were removed or locked away she probably would not have noticed.

MaryC51263

Dec 15, 2019
I have the same issue. My mother started throwing things out like bills, her coloring books and markers she loved to do, her wedding pictures, pillows, even music player her social worker gave her because she loves music. Its frustrating when I get home from a long day of teaching1st grade and see all this in the trash. I ask her why she does it and she says she doesn't. :(

lindy61

Nov 21, 2018
Yeah my mam used to do the same whenever I went to see her that was my first port of call to look in her bin. I retrieved a few things but God knows what I didn't find. She never remembered doing it. Don't argue with her just retrieve things