Hello I'm new and would like to join in

Maydee

Mar 24, 2006
My Mothers at the early stages and lives with my sister who is joint owner of their house , should my mother have to go into a home would my sister have problems relating to the house (to cover costs etc.)? This is something we dread but think it might end up happening although it feels unthinkable now, my Mums so Intelligent ,smart and wonderful she lost my Dad when she was 38 and because of her wonderful strength of character we (3 girls) have had wonderful lives. It's devastating to see her failing we know what can happen as my Grandfather started the in the same way My Mum is 78 .:(

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Maydee

Welcome. I would suggest that you get some advice from a solicitor or the CAB ref the house, act now before it is too late. Other TPers may have specific advice as it is unusual to see a unique problem in TP. Keep us posted and good luck.

Hugs

Dick

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Maydee
welcome to talking Point.
A call to the Alzheimer's Society help line would be a good first move,they could most likely answer your question.

How to contact the Alzheimer's Society

Postal address
Alzheimer's Society
Gordon House
10 Greencoat Place
London SW1P 1PH
UK

Telephone 020 7306 0606
(International dialling +44 (0) 20 7306 0606)
Fax 020 7306 0808
Email enquiries@alzheimers.org.uk

Let us know how you get on

Best Wishes
Norman

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Maydee, just wanted to say Hi, and hope you get the support you need. Let us know how you get on. Best wishes

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Maydee,
See a solicitor whilst mum is still in early stages; I think it is to do with whether the house is owned as a joint tenancy or tenants in common, but there are ways of ensuring that your sister will still have a roof over her head! Also need to get mum to sign Enduring Power of Attorney (I'm sure someone will direct you to a recent thread where there has been a lot of discussion).
Best wishes,
Amy

Maydee

Mar 24, 2006
Thanks everyone for your advice and welcome I appreciate it . I've contacted the Alzheimers enquiries Norman and will let you know what advice I receive.