My husband needs 2 operations under GA . I am aware of the risks involved with having dementia . However a spinal tap is not available for husbands ops . If he does not have the operations he will be bed ridden within a year and as he is only 65 I had to weigh up quality of life . It's an extremely hard decisions to make and even though we are going ahead I am terrified and worry constantly about it . Do speak with consultants about it but ultimately the decision is yours to make xAny information, facts or experiences welcome to help make a decision as to whether to go ahead with a simple operation under general anaesthetic on a parent diagnosed with dementia.