Hello, i am private hired live in carer.

Brightlightside

Jul 17, 2021
Hello, i have been reading forums but its first time to posting on here. My life situation is really hard to tell-

Long story to short, i am private hired for living in carer, basically the lady's son hired me for 24/7. Okay, its everything so nice condition at first, like i get paid and i don't need to pay for living stuff and rent, so great. And i had my grandmother who was sever dementia. So i had a bit more knowledge of dementia. But yes, at first time it was really hard. No matter what i was doing everymorning she got angry to me, saying she can't understand me, and calling me as stupid woman. But now i do understand that i shouldn't take this as personally. and i found out how to cope with those, like when i give her one or two pounds, she getting so happy mood, and she is saying how i am nice lady, and she is even laughting happily.

okay, everything fine, until i found out this problem.
She throw out everything. Whenever i buy food, next day, its gone. When i put black bag to refuse bin, she take it out, and hiding it somewhere, and few days after, its showing (problem : after collection day, so its overflowering because of that reason) and few weeks ago i found out she spreaded out all the trash from black bag to garden, i obviously immediately cleaned everything.

anyone know how to solve this problem?

my first lang is not english so there might be mistake in my sentence, if it that happened, i am sorry in advance.

update2020

Jan 2, 2020
That sounds really hard and what a fantastic job you are doing. @Brightlightside I found that I had to find a different way around when the person with dementia did this. So if I was you I would try to use a different bin or hide the real bin in a new place . I would give the lady some black bin liners so that she thinks she is putting the rubbish out, but actually hide the real rubbish in a place she won’t find it (like the garage or a shed. Same with the fridge, let her have access to the old fridge but keep all the real food in a different place where she won’t find it. You may have to get her son’s help in buying a second fridge. I even had a lock fitted to one room that only I had the key to so that all the stuff I needed to be kept undisturbed could be kept in there out of the dementia person’s reach. I hope you can find a solution and that her son helps you. You probably cannot change her behaviour so you have to find a way around it.

I had to gradually adapt our home to be more like a care home and your lady’s son will need to support you in doing the same. You need to control the environment but let her go on doing things (or thinking she is doing things) safely .

also 24/7 is a lot!! I hope you get breaks and holidays. Your lady maybe needs more than one carer.

Last edited:

Brightlightside

Jul 17, 2021
Thank you for your reply, and sorry for late reply. I am 24/7 but i do get most of free time between after done morning task, and then till dinner time i do get my free time. And yes if i want extra day off or one or two, i can ask to him and off. So far i didn't need so i didn't ask. Well the lady son is supporting me really really a lot so i am feeling graditude about that

he seems like need to find a back up about this too. I already talk about it though.

Mr.A

Jun 5, 2021
Thank you for your reply, and sorry for late reply. I am 24/7 but i do get most of free time between after done morning task, and then till dinner time i do get my free time. And yes if i want extra day off or one or two, i can ask to him and off. So far i didn't need so i didn't ask. Well the lady son is supporting me really really a lot so i am feeling graditude about that

he seems like need to find a back up about this too. I already talk about it though.
There is only a blunt answer to this but given with thought and consideration. You are expecting too much of yourself. You need to speak to the son and explain that more help is required to allow you to have a break and to give additional help to his mother.

Brightlightside

Jul 17, 2021
Thank you for reply, i already talked about this with him, if i really want i can totally day off, but so far i am okay :) and he is also supporting me financially so i am feeling very thanksfully to him. I am just getting stress because of this is whole new job area. I asked here because i want to improve my job skills too :) but that you for your kind reply

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Thank you for reply, i already talked about this with him, if i really want i can totally day off, but so far i am okay :) and he is also supporting me financially so i am feeling very thanksfully to him. I am just getting stress because of this is whole new job area. I asked here because i want to improve my job skills too :) but that you for your kind reply
can you give her a job where you are, polishing cutlery, sorting buttons, fiddling with a box of all sorts, fold tea towels. anything that she can do

Brightlightside

Jul 17, 2021
i already doing like that , which i already got tips from youtube, like i am making messing around her actually like living towels around her, so she can clean up, puttind dog food near by sink so she will do that. (One of reason she don't like because messing around) but i am doing this for her for distract her

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar