Hello, I’m new here, sad and overwhelmed. So much to learn ?

vanezzaslove

May 18, 2022
Kent UK
Hello
I need help. I need support and advice about everything Alzheimer’s, memory loss, … nhs funding for my wonderful 91 year old mum. I am alone wading through all there is to learn and a widow myself. There is not one person I can share this with but you lovely people here. Please help me help my mum.
Thank you
Vanezza ?
Also I am not great at forums so if I don’t reply or make contact it’s likely because I am stuck as how to do it xxxxxx

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hello
I need help. I need support and advice about everything Alzheimer’s, memory loss, … nhs funding for my wonderful 91 year old mum. I am alone wading through all there is to learn and a widow myself. There is not one person I can share this with but you lovely people here. Please help me help my mum.
Thank you
Vanezza ?
Also I am not great at forums so if I don’t reply or make contact it’s likely because I am stuck as how to do it xxxxxx
breathe take each day as it comes. have you got power of attorney for health and finance? you can download the forms and do them yourself. does your mum claim attendance allowance? dont worry about making mistakes, its all a learning process.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome from me, too @vanezzaslove.
Like Jennifer says, take your time and don't worry about making mistakes. When you feel ready then post any questions or concerns on the https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/ part of the site. You will find knowledgeable and helpful members.
Don't let the long list put you off, but more information can be found at https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets and support groups are hopefully available in your area if you type your location into
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you or https://carers.org/

I hope any of that is of help to you.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
Hello
Thank you
Vanezza ?
Hello and welcome @vanezzaslove

The links in the post above by nae sporran are full of good information, work your way through them. Also, the link to Compassionate Communication in my signature is very helpful. You can’t stick to it religiously but it gives some insight on how someone with dementia feels. Patience and kindness is needed, and reassurance.

Also, learn to pick your battles. Try not to worry about every little thing or try to micro-manage mum. Make sure you get any help you’re entitled to. The Alzheimer’s Society’s helpline is very good for this kind of info.

And don’t feel like everyone else is great at caring and you’re not. Most of us are just bumbling along, not sure of what to do. Ask questions on here and use the search, too. You’ll soon get the hang of it. Best wishes to you and mum. x

KatyKat

May 8, 2022

Hello
Thank you
Vanezza ?

Hi Vanezzaslove, I'm in a similar situation -- new here and new to caregiving. I also have a 91 year old Mum with dementia. Plus, I'm pretty much alone in the world. For family, I have an elderly aunt and uncle who are somewhat supportive, but they live 4.5 hours away and have serious health problems of their own.

Since I still have so much to learn about dementia and caregiving, I don't have as much wisdom to share with you as some of the other members. I hope you find the help and advice you need. All the best to you and your Mum.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't have as much wisdom to share with you as some of the other members.

Hello @KatyKat

You may not think you have as much wisdom to share as those of us who have been here longer but you do have experiences to share with those who are in a similar stage of the journey. You can support each other.

KatyKat

May 8, 2022
Hello @KatyKat

You may not think you have as much wisdom to share as those of us who have been here longer but you do have experiences to share with those who are in a similar stage of the journey. You can support each other.
Exactly. That's what I meant. I do myself feel so much less alone just reading the experiences of people in similar situations. Thanks so much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1