1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. Kira

Kira Registered User

Dec 31, 2015
    Hi, I´m from Germany and I work with Alzheimer-Patients since some years.

I'm always interested to talk with other persons about dementia. So I found this forum. My english is not the best, but I´ll try. The grammar and I ... we are not the best friends.

I´m not a nurse, I´m something like a companion. I have the possibility to spend more time with the patients than the nurses … I talk to them, go for a walk, read a book, sing old songs … or just hold the hand without a word.

Sometimes I have luck and we find a little moment of their memories. And in these moments I get the best result for my work ... a smile.

These moments are so important because they get the feeling everything is alright.

It's okay to eat the food with the fingers. It´s okay to ask the same questions and forget the answers.

It´s okay to be in their own world.

Maybe it makes no sense what they are doing … for us. But behind it all is a sense. But if we try to see through the eyes of people with dementia, one can understand, what the reason is for their acting.

I know, it is not easy. But living with dementia is not the end, it is another beginning.

All my best wishes to the new year !

2. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    Guten Sylvesterabend Kira wilkommen an TP:)

There's my bit of German! Good to hear your experiences, will look out for your posts
    Best wishes
    Sue:)

3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP :)

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Welcome and happy new year!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

5. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    "Gesundes neues Jahr" according to google, whatever, happy new year and welcome to TP. Like you say "It´s okay to be in their own world" you have to join in their world, they can't join us in ours.
    K

6. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Und einen guten Rutsch! (Well, if you're all getting your German out...) :D

7. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    Auch von mir :) Guten Rutsch und herzlich willkommen xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

8. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Happy New Year and Welcome to Talking Point. :)

9. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Guten morgan und prosit neu jahr. Willkommen zu TP.

10. Kira

Kira Registered User

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you for the welcome! :)

Happy New Year ! Gesundes Neues Jahr !