Hello from a new member

sunflowers12

Aug 20, 2019
I am so happy to have found this forum. My ninety-six year old Aunt is in memory care and assisted living community center. She always tells me she hates it there. I have her car and she was told to not drive any longer because of bad eyes. Then she had a stroke and lost the use of her right hand. She thinks she is just fine and wants to have me bring her car to the facility and leave it there for her. Now I realize she can't drive her car any longer. But I don't know what to do. I do have Power Of Attorney with her. Do I bring her car to her and tell the facility what is going on and communicate with the local police department? I cannot have her get behind the wheel for her safety and for others safety. She seems to think that she is just fine and only had a small stroke. She has not been told she has dementia but it is progressing each and every day. She thinks people are trying to poison her and steal her clothing. Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @sunflowers12
a warm welcome to DTP ... I'm glad you've joined this supportive communith

gosh your aunt has a lot to contend with ... which, of course, means you have too

personally, I wouldn't let your aunt anywhere near her car, it won't stop at that, she'll want to try driving and that's a risk too far .. also, letting her see it will reinforce her desire to see it again, not giving her the chance to slowly let it slip from her mind

I'd make up an excuse why you can't bring it eg ' so sorry aunt, I took it for its MOT and it failed, it needs a part and they've had to send off for it, I'll tell you when it's arrived' then distract ... every time she asks, use exactly the same excuse, same words, no explanation, no discussion ... if she doesn't mention it, don't bring it up ... good luck

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @sunflowers12
I wouldnt take the car round for her to see either - if you do that her obsession with driving will get much worse because she doesnt understand why she cant drive and you wont be able to explain it to her. Just leave the car where it is and come up with some excuse why you cant bring it. "It wouldnt start, so I had to get the garage to take it away for repairs"
These repairs can take a long time too ;) - right up till she stops asking.

sunflowers12

Aug 20, 2019
hello @sunflowers12
a warm welcome to DTP ... I'm glad you've joined this supportive communith

gosh your aunt has a lot to contend with ... which, of course, means you have too

personally, I wouldn't let your aunt anywhere near her car, it won't stop at that, she'll want to try driving and that's a risk too far .. also, letting her see it will reinforce her desire to see it again, not giving her the chance to slowly let it slip from her mind

I'd make up an excuse why you can't bring it eg ' so sorry aunt, I took it for its MOT and it failed, it needs a part and they've had to send off for it, I'll tell you when it's arrived' then distract ... every time she asks, use exactly the same excuse, same words, no explanation, no discussion ... if she doesn't mention it, don't bring it up ... good luck
Thank you for your support and help with this. I will take my car and tell her repairs are being made on it. I usually drove her car up to where she is at (about an hour's drive) but now I see it only triggers her.

sunflowers12

Aug 20, 2019
Hello @sunflowers12
I wouldnt take the car round for her to see either - if you do that her obsession with driving will get much worse because she doesnt understand why she cant drive and you wont be able to explain it to her. Just leave the car where it is and come up with some excuse why you cant bring it. "It wouldnt start, so I had to get the garage to take it away for repairs"
These repairs can take a long time too ;) - right up till she stops asking.
I will tell her the car is having repairs. I will drive my own car up for the visit. Thank you so much!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson