Hello from a Community Psychiatric Nurse!

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Howdy all - I've not been here for absolutely ages, so I thought it was about time I showed my face again.

Some of you may even remember me - Neil from Wigan. long time supporter of the Alzheimer's Society...

I qualified in 2003 and then went to work on a Dementia Assessment Unit for two years... I know work in the Community, often doing assessments of needs, medication reviews etc etc.

Do I like it?

Very much so - I enjoy seeing people on their 'home turf' rather than in hospital - whether that be in a house or a care home, it's great to see things in an informal rather than clinical setting.

Anyhow - that's me done for now - drop in and say hello!

And everyone have a very Mery Christmas too!

:)

Regards.

Neil.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
And a very merry Christmas to you too. I hope that the following makes you feel proud because my husband's CPN is a lifesaver to me. He has seen me through some very hard times indeed and has been an excellent 'tower of strength' to me for some three years.

He continues to be his CPN because he is also the CPN for the EMI Home where my husband now lives.

"God bless all of us" - a cry from 'A Chrstmas Carol' - which I re-phrase to say "God bless all CPN's'."

xxTinaT

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Many thanks for your kind words there Tina.

All the very best to you, your husband and the gent you're referring to.

A very Merry Christmas to you all!

Neil.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Neil. Thank you for updating us on how your work has gone.

I think what you are doing is so worthwhile, and so pleased that you have dropped in again to TP.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Cheers Margarita and Connie - and all the best to the both of you to!

I'll keep dropping in when I get the chance - it's nce to catch up too - I used to enjoy coming to this forum on a regular basis... let's make it my (early) New Year's Resolution to come more often.

N.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Neil,
Great to hear from you again. But I'll wait to make my New Year's Resolution, thank you. In fact, I've given resolutions up for the new year, Lent, summer, you name it:D

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Neil,
Great to hear from you again. But I'll wait to make my New Year's Resolution, thank you. In fact, I've given resolutions up for the new year, Lent, summer, you name it:D

Aha - now another person I remember very well!

How are you Joanne?

Love the avatar by the way... as you know I'm 'animal crazy' - 2 dogs and now we have a 'rescue gerbil' (long story), plus I've a load of birds visit our garden who require me to serve them food -the best 'bird café' in the north of England!

:D

Neil.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My avatar is my 14 year old, Loki. I posted about taking Loki to the vet's this summer. He's well named.

The little grey one is one of my 5 year old, Maggie. Her sister Bonnie is the "before" picture of a weight loss ad.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Happy Christmas Neil, but my mum never had a CPN or anyone else cos she was self=funding, i.e. sold her little two-up, two-down cottage, so got no support at all cos she was regarded as being rich. She was off their list of patients. Nobody ever came to see her, nobody cared about her, and she died waiting 3 hours for the GP.

Regards

Margaret

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
My avatar is my 14 year old, Loki. I posted about taking Loki to the vet's this summer. He's well named.

The little grey one is one of my 5 year old, Maggie. Her sister Bonnie is the "before" picture of a weight loss ad.

Great looking cats and cheers for the info.

My Mum has a cat that was rescued - Jimmy. He's minus tail and was living wild - but now you won't see a happier critter - or a bigger one - he's massive, but has regular vet reviews and does very well for himself - no-one could give him a better home.

Love cats.

Neil.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Happy Christmas Neil, but my mum never had a CPN or anyone else cos she was self=funding, i.e. sold her little two-up, two-down cottage, so got no support at all cos she was regarded as being rich. She was off their list of patients. Nobody ever came to see her, nobody cared about her, and she died waiting 3 hours for the GP.

Regards

Margaret

:( Very sorry to hear all that Margaret, that's tragic. I've been out to see people before now who you could say are indeed 'well off' - but big deal re: where the money comes or goes - to me it's all about offering professional support if it's needed and/or wanted.

Money's neither use nor ornament to you if you can't enjoy it and it's sad to see someone who's got money and can't benefit from it irespective of how affluent or not they are.

The best part about my job is when you can go out and simply have a chat and give reassurance... for people to know they're not 'on their own' and to give help and advice - it's one thing I do say I am proud to have a 'gift' of doing - I put this down to be as open and as honest as I can, and most importantly, I ensure Person Centred Care whenever possible - i.e. "The Person with dementia" comes first... I NEVER 'talk over' someone and try to involve them as much as possible, irrespective of communication difficulties.

And if they 'lack insight' into what's being discussed - so what? I'll happily talk about something else and involve them in the conversation... I'm easy there - I can always explore any needs further later... it's just as good to talk about anything at all!

Right - I've blabbered enough now - hope you had a good Christmas - and the same to everyone else on the forum

Neil.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Thought I'd just drop in briefly to say that I hope you all had a good Christmas, and to wish you all the very best for the New Year and for 2009!

Best wishes to you all!

Neil.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Thought I'd pop in with an update - I've changed jobs... and I LOVE my new job - seriously.

I still work in the community, but now work with the 'Gateway & Advice' service - what that means, is that I often go out and see people who aren't "known to services" (i.e. only contact they've had re: mental health issue has been with the G.P.) - I specifically deal with 'Older People' (i.e. over 65) which I'm happy with because that's my 'field' be it memory problems/psychosis/depression etc.

I'll just tell you this for now rather than go into detail about the job - what I like best about it...

I have to admit, my skill is in being able to strike up a rapport with people - I'd say most times I get on with folk...

What do I do particulary? I try to be as honest with people as I can and try to answer all questions.

I also believe in 'Disclosure' and 'Therapeutic Use Of Self' when appropriate - by that, I mean that I discuss things about myself if I feel it can help the other person - I find (and feedback I've got supports this) that it can give a lot of reassurance too.

Also, as well as assessing, I like to have a good old natter - this is ecause I genuinely take an interest in people and like having a good conversation - again I reckon this gives reassurance and it's great to just have a chat anyhow rather than being too formal!

I've had loads of pos. comments when I've finished my visits... a lot of times people are anxious as to why I'm there/what I'll ask/whether they'll say 'the wrong thing', but I have to say, when I ask, most of the time people state they feel much better when I've finished and they're no longer worried - it truly is a binus to know you've helped people.

Anyhow, I'll leave it at that for now - just to say I feel lucky to be doing a job that I'm 100% into... okay, I'm not all 'rose-tinted spectacles' and know there are some situations that are stressful (for the Person with memory issues etc./carer/myself), but I truly find it rewarding.

Who can ask for more?

Neil.