Hello all glad I found this place

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by PeterD2, Jun 27, 2015.

1. PeterD2

PeterD2 Registered User

Mar 11, 2015
    My Mum has Alzheimer's and has been living at home with me as her carer. Things were OK until about a month ago, her medication was changed and she became very agitated and was taken into hospital. They've given her new medication and we are now looking at a care plan to get her back home.

I've quite a few questions to ask and have already found a lot of useful info here.

Pete

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP Peter.

I'm sure you'll have all your questions answered here.

3. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    welcome to TP Peter, just to say someone on here will know the answer as we are all going through the same thing, just different degrees

4. min88cat

min88cat Registered User

Apr 6, 2010
    Hi Peter

All I would say is make sure that you entirely happy with how your Mum is on the new medication before she is discharged. Also make sure that you are 100% happy with the care package.

Quite often people with Alz/dementia are sent home too quickly (this happened with my MIL, and resulted in 2 failed discharges) as they are bed blocking, but discharge too early can be a nightmare.

Any questions just come and ask, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

5. PeterD2

PeterD2 Registered User

Mar 11, 2015
    Thanks for the replies.

The medication looks like its working OK now and she wants to come home, it's frustrating for her and the rest of the family.

The care package looks very expensive to me not sure what this will do to her bank account. The council's finances explanation looks complicated.

6. hisstessa2

hisstessa2 Registered User

Feb 19, 2015
    USA
    This site was my crutch for 2 years. Lean on it Peter

7. nannylondon

nannylondon Registered User

Apr 7, 2014
    London
    Hi Peter.
    Glad you have found TP it has been really helpful for me especially the last few months I have been given fantastic support and advice good luck with your mum

8. chris53

chris53 Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    London
    Hello Peter, a warm welcome to Talking Point and hope we can be of help to you:) enough to deal with dementia but oh then finances comes into it, it feesl so intrusive doesn't it:eek: so much advice here and I hope this link may help:-
    http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=160
    Please keep posting and hoping that a affordable and helpful and above all caring care plan is put into place on mums return to her home.
    Take care
    Chris

9. PeterD2

PeterD2 Registered User

Mar 11, 2015
    Just a quick update.

Mum has been home for three weeks now, she's improved a huge amount since leaving hospital. I think there's been a definite change in her condition it wasn't just the medication change. She seems to have settled into that medication and is much happier back in her home.

They have given her a hospital type bed, a commode chair and a table on wheels. She doesn't like any of them!

I got a PIR alarm in case she gets up in the night which is brilliant, the pressure pad type they provided is useless.

Next job is to find a nice wheelchair so I can get her out a bit, if it stops raining. 16 or 18 inch, does it matter a lot? Any recommendations?

Pete

10. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    How very positive Pete.

My husband's wheelchair was provided by the NHS. We had to give his measurements so that he got the right size for him. I also asked for a lightweight folding one so that I can get it into the car boot. He had to be referred by the district nurse. The GP got her to contact me. We didn't have to wait long but I don't know how waiting times are in your area.

You can also borrow wheelchairs from the Red Cross. I wondered if this would help you try one out to get a feel of what suits or to fill in until you got one from NHS.

Just a thought! Good luck.

11. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    We did that and it worked brilliantly. Unfortunately mum went into a CH so we never got her own wheelchair and we just borrow one of the CH ones, but it definitely let us find out what she needed and what would fit in the boot of the car.

12. PeterD2

PeterD2 Registered User

Mar 11, 2015
    Thanks for the replies, been doing a bit of research and I've got a much better idea of what wheelchair to get. Blue badge should be on the way too.

A separate question, what does an IMCA (independent mental capacity advocate?) do? The social services who have been helping me are bringing someone round on their next visit.

Thanks