Hello again. :(

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I think it's still early days yet for the quetiapine. Isn't it up to 6 weeks for it to kick in fully? Bringing in another sample is a good idea.

About the prisms, it does sound like they work. I had prisms in my glasses for years, as I developed a lazy eye. I've since had surgery so no longer need the prisms.
The prisms really are working great. This morning when I was in to her, to distract her from the hallucinations, I had turned on the TV, and she happily critiqued one of the presenters!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
OK, so moving forward....

Mum's hallucinations had really escalated this week. She was becoming very distressed. Thursday morning, I left a urine sample to the gp, who said they'd send it to the lab, but would "dip" it first and get back to me.

Hearing nothing, I phoned again this morning, and they said they'd chase it - and then phoned back to tell me that several samples, including mum's, had been "damaged in transit " so have to leave another in on Monday.

Meanwhile, mum was so distressed that I left an urgent message with the Medicine for the Elderly clinic who had prescribed her new meds - Reminyl and quetiapine. I just felt it was too much of a coincidence the way things deteriorated within week of new meds.

Had a long chat with them, and the doctor changed the prescription. Removed the Reminyl and increased the quetiapine. Fingers crossed!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's such a distressing situation for both you and your mum @LadyA - I hope the change in medication helps.
Oh, so do I, @LynneMcV . It's awful to see her. I can't spend more than a few hours with her before the stress gets to me and I can't relax when I'm not there, because I'm worrying about her being distressed and frightened. The family are great, and go in when they can, but they are all working long hours and shift work.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh, fingers crossed! Mum had her first increased of quetiapine on Friday evening, and then no Reminyl yesterday morning.

She seemed so much more relaxed yesterday! Still talking about the "visitors", but nowhere near as much! I took her out to my house and we spent a lovely, happy afternoon icing and decorating several Christmas cakes. Mum was so happy, as she said to be "helping with something and doing something useful with my hands". We used her original Tala Icing set, which she bought shortly after getting married, so it dates back over 60 years! And it brought back such great memories for her, because when we were kids, every Christmas, she made, iced and decorated 3 huge fruitcakes, just for our family! (Of course, back then, chocolates were a rare gift and very expensive, and any treats we got were all made by mum. Mince pies, cakes, scones, etc.) She did a huge baking day every week. She also made, iced and decorated all our wedding cakes.

Was so interesting to hear her memories. She told me how she dreaded making the royal icing for the cakes, because you were left with egg yolks, having used the whites in the icing. And how it needed to be beaten for ages. I said "Well, I just used packets of instant royal icing powder. You just add water. " and she was astonished that there was now such a thing. And you should have seen her face when I said that in fact, these days, you can get ready to use royal icing, in plastic tubs! :D

So, here's hoping this change will work.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
What a lovely way to spend time with your mum @LadyA
It really was.
Today, I was in before lunch, and again, she seemed very relaxed and calm, and didn't mention any intruders. My brother & sister in law came just before I left (we've been tending to not be together. If one comes, the one already there leaves, just to be safe). Again, mum didn't mention the intruders to them.
However, when another family member called in the afternoon, she was starting to talk about the intruders, but they said she wasn't distressed or frightened, and seemed quite unconcerned about them. And it is only a couple of days into the quetiapine. So, fingers crossed!!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Your afternoon decorating Christmas cakes with your mum and listening to her memories sounds wonderful @LadyA - and such an improvement in what you hav been facing.

I know it is early days yet - but long may her more relaxed and happy outlook last with the tweaking of medication xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Today, we saw the dietitian. Mum's been slowly regaining some weight, but not enough. The dietitian said she needs all the calories she can squeeze in! So, her supplements are increased to 2 a day for the next three months. Also, she was told, use cream in mashed potatoes, creamy sauces, etc. , have at least one dessert every day, lots of stuff like creamed rice, creme brulee, etc. And lots of full fat milk to drink. No low fat foods allowed! ?

Mum is so much more relaxed since starting the Quetiapine. She said this morning that her "visitors" are still there a bit, but they're very quiet, and it's just a few faces now, not crowds of people and animals, moving around! And they aren't bothering her at all. She's like a new woman. :)

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
It's wonderful news that your mother is so much more relaxed.

I am envious of her "having" to have full-fat foods. What about ice cream? I do like my ice cream.
My brother is slowly recovering from being very ill so needs to build up his weight. His wife has a bit of a tricky time as she is trying to slim down their son, so she's producing various versions of porridge for them all. My family decided that if we were Goldilocks we'd be going for Daddy bear's full-cream version.
@LadyA, icing with your mum sounds a wonderful activity. Enjoy eating them too. I'm glad the increase in Quetiapine seems to be working (fingers crossed).

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
The "visitors" were back yesterday. Not quite as bad as previously, but definitely, very much to the fore. My uncle phoned to wish her a happy christmas, and she talked about nothing other than these things she was seeing, and said "I think it's all n my head, because the others say they can't see anything." but on and on at length about them. Was so depressing. And, as she doesn't hear from my uncle very often, this was the first he'd heard of anything being wrong, so I had to call him later and explain the situation. My uncles are all in their 80s now, and all have their own health problems.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
That’s such a shame. I hope the ’visitors’ stay away so you can have a peaceful day.
There was just a brief mention this morning when I collected her. We spent the day at my daughter's, and had a delicious traditional Christmas lunch. Mum was in great form, and had a wonderful day. Never mentioned the "visitors ". :)