Hello again. :(

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Would she qualify for social services to fund some help?
It's different over here. The help either comes from Community Care, (the local care services office, which covers phn, OT, continence supplies, and aids & equipment) or you can pay privately. The care agencies charge over €25 per hour, and they won't bill for less than an hour, although if the help needed takes less than an hour, they could be in, done and gone in 20 minutes. Even though Community Care have no help available, there would be no help with the cost of private carers.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
It's different over here. The help either comes from Community Care, (the local care services office, which covers phn, OT, continence supplies, and aids & equipment) or you can pay privately. The care agencies charge over €25 per hour, and they won't bill for less than an hour, although if the help needed takes less than an hour, they could be in, done and gone in 20 minutes. Even though Community Care have no help available, there would be no help with the cost of private carers.

How desperately frustrating, every area has different processes & it just adds to more confusion at a time when clarity & simplicity is required.
I hope things get easier for you, but it just sometimes gets too much in all of this. Especially for those who have had one difficult path after another.
The sunshine is just breaking through the clouds here in Devon & the warmth of the rays bring hope of a better day. Sending you wishes of sun rays & (((( Hugs )))) to a truly remarkable & inspirational lady.
xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
How desperately frustrating, every area has different processes & it just adds to more confusion at a time when clarity & simplicity is required.
I hope things get easier for you, but it just sometimes gets too much in all of this. Especially for those who have had one difficult path after another.
The sunshine is just breaking through the clouds here in Devon & the warmth of the rays bring hope of a better day. Sending you wishes of sun rays & (((( Hugs )))) to a truly remarkable & inspirational lady.
xx
Thank you. Things are actually looking very much on the up. Mum is fully back to herself, she's looking forward to getting home and back in her routine, she is now flagged in the system, and hopefully, will be able to go back to living more or less independently. She will need help, as she always did, with getting out and about, as she never drove. But, fingers crossed! I have discovered that she's been put on a tablet to control "over active bladder", so that may be why her continence has improved so much.But she's been warned she has to drink LOTS of fluids too, as one of the side effects can be UTIs!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My Mum is on a prophylactic dose of antibiotics & her incontinence has improved- thus her own confidence. After continuous repeat UTIs it’s finally nice to see her improving in one area at least! But wow what a battle to get those prophylactics!!!
Life shouldn’t be this hard me thinks... but then we wouldn’t be on this forum & have met all these lovely peeps via it! Every cloud has a silver lining!
Xxx
Thank you. Things are actually looking very much on the up. Mum is fully back to herself, she's looking forward to getting home and back in her routine, she is now flagged in the system, and hopefully, will be able to go back to living more or less independently. She will need help, as she always did, with getting out and about, as she never drove. But, fingers crossed! I have discovered that she's been put on a tablet to control "over active bladder", so that may be why her continence has improved so much.But she's been warned she has to drink LOTS of fluids too, as one of the side effects can be UTIs!

Take care of yourself, today the weather is more autumnal. Crows & rooms being noisy & the squirrels madly collecting the last of the hazelnuts!
Meanwhile my senior citizen dog - aka dementia dog - was Sadie the wonderdog; but she spends more time now wondering where she is & who we are -.... is digging a large pit in the garden! It’s an ongoing project over the past 3 months.. impressively deep now!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Mum was due home on Friday last. Thursday, I went, after working all morning, and cleaned her house, and made a few "adustments" as suggested by the OT. I removed the bedside locker that had been my dad's and shifted the bed about 18 inches closer to the window, to give mum plenty of room to manoeuvre from bed to commode etc. with her walking frame. She was given two frames: A standard size one and a narrow one for using upstairs. I hurt my back (ongoing damage, but flares up into a spasm now and then) shifting the furniture. But at least it was done, and I vacuumed everywhere.

On the way home on Thursday evening, I thought I'd drop in for a quick visit with mum. And there she was, bags packed, coat on. "Where are you off to?" I asked. "Home!" she says. "They said I can go home today." "But", I said "I was told you would be discharged tomorrow! I'm only on my way home now, and was going to collect you in the morning and take you home!" "Well, they told me I am going home today!" So, off I go in search of the staff nurse, and sad "Um, mum says she's going home? Today, and not tomorrow, as I'd been told?" The nurse looked at me, and said "You're ****'s daughter, aren't you? Yes, she was supposed to go home tomorrow, but she told us that you were coming to collect her this afternoon, to take her home." :rolleyes::rolleyes: So, it seems mum decided she was going on Thursday. Told the staff that I had said I was coming to collect her, and told me that the staff said she was being discharged! :D:D

Anyway, it worked out fine. She's home, and she's good! (so far!). Stair lift is working very well for her, and she is being good about using her frames. I've had her on a couple of outings, which she really enjoyed, even though for one, we used the wheelchair.

Meanwhile, I've been busily helping dau too, as her pregnancy reaches the home stretch. Over the weekend, I have dehydrated buckets of apple slices, which to my little grandson, are better than any sweeties! And back last Spring, she had enthusiastically sown a lot of beetroot, but now, was not able to deal with them! So, I've bottled them for her in a sweet/sour spiced vinegar syrup.

Looks like life is returning to somewhat resembling normal. The only thing is, mum can't carry the bowl of her commode to the loo to empty it in the mornings, so I now have to go in every day, at least briefly, to do that. And she can't manage her vacuum cleaner either (a cordless one), so I run around with that. Still, it's a small price to pay for seeing her so happy to be home! :)

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Mum was due home on Friday last. Thursday, I went, after working all morning, and cleaned her house, and made a few "adustments" as suggested by the OT. I removed the bedside locker that had been my dad's and shifted the bed about 18 inches closer to the window, to give mum plenty of room to manoeuvre from bed to commode etc. with her walking frame. She was given two frames: A standard size one and a narrow one for using upstairs. I hurt my back (ongoing damage, but flares up into a spasm now and then) shifting the furniture. But at least it was done, and I vacuumed everywhere.

On the way home on Thursday evening, I thought I'd drop in for a quick visit with mum. And there she was, bags packed, coat on. "Where are you off to?" I asked. "Home!" she says. "They said I can go home today." "But", I said "I was told you would be discharged tomorrow! I'm only on my way home now, and was going to collect you in the morning and take you home!" "Well, they told me I am going home today!" So, off I go in search of the staff nurse, and sad "Um, mum says she's going home? Today, and not tomorrow, as I'd been told?" The nurse looked at me, and said "You're ****'s daughter, aren't you? Yes, she was supposed to go home tomorrow, but she told us that you were coming to collect her this afternoon, to take her home." :rolleyes::rolleyes: So, it seems mum decided she was going on Thursday. Told the staff that I had said I was coming to collect her, and told me that the staff said she was being discharged! :D:D

Anyway, it worked out fine. She's home, and she's good! (so far!). Stair lift is working very well for her, and she is being good about using her frames. I've had her on a couple of outings, which she really enjoyed, even though for one, we used the wheelchair.

Meanwhile, I've been busily helping dau too, as her pregnancy reaches the home stretch. Over the weekend, I have dehydrated buckets of apple slices, which to my little grandson, are better than any sweeties! And back last Spring, she had enthusiastically sown a lot of beetroot, but now, was not able to deal with them! So, I've bottled them for her in a sweet/sour spiced vinegar syrup.

Looks like life is returning to somewhat resembling normal. The only thing is, mum can't carry the bowl of her commode to the loo to empty it in the mornings, so I now have to go in every day, at least briefly, to do that. And she can't manage her vacuum cleaner either (a cordless one), so I run around with that. Still, it's a small price to pay for seeing her so happy to be home! :)

I hope life becomes easier for you & you are able to spend time with daughter & bump & your grandson!
Xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
WooHoo! :):)
Baby grandson born yesterday morning, at home. Arrived in a bit of a whirlwind! The midwife, my daughter said, "skated in the door just in time to catch him!" 8lbs 3 oz, so almost a whole pound smaller than his older brother. Dau and baby doing well. Dad is minding the almost 3 year old, so dad is NOT doing so well! :D I had the almost 3 year old all day yesterday. When I got home yesterday evening, around 7.30, I sat down and fell asleep. Woke, went to bed, and slept all night. There's a reason why we go through menopause, and don't have children after a certain age!

Mum's doing great, thank God. Adapting to the walking frames (although I caught her red handed yesterday, going from kitchen to living room, with no frame, just holding on to the walls and doors! What she was told specifically that she mustn't do! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
WooHoo! :):)
Baby grandson born yesterday morning, at home. Arrived in a bit of a whirlwind! The midwife, my daughter said, "skated in the door just in time to catch him!" 8lbs 3 oz, so almost a whole pound smaller than his older brother. Dau and baby doing well. Dad is minding the almost 3 year old, so dad is NOT doing so well! :D I had the almost 3 year old all day yesterday. When I got home yesterday evening, around 7.30, I sat down and fell asleep. Woke, went to bed, and slept all night. There's a reason why we go through menopause, and don't have children after a certain age!

Mum's doing great, thank God. Adapting to the walking frames (although I caught her red handed yesterday, going from kitchen to living room, with no frame, just holding on to the walls and doors! What she was told specifically that she mustn't do! :rolleyes:

congratulations !
Wow what lovely news!

made me chuckle dad not doing so good!

also caught my mum doing exactly the same - hilariously sticks & walking frames in most areas she was clinging her way around!

that old saying you can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink comes to mind!!
Xxxxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Congratulations. Had to laugh at dad looking after 3 year old and not doing so well.

My mum would have thought she was clever getting away with it and managing without pre and post dementia

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Fantastic news @LadyA - congratulations to one and all!

It must be a worry with mum not following the safety guidelines though - it's lovely that she is on the move and doing so well but I hope she doesn't get too rebellious against the safety measures!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad uses his frame all the time except when he gets up in the night to use the toilet then he uses the wall to guide himself to the bathroom (I leave the light on in the bathroom at night ) When he comes out he will switch the light out and guide himself back to bed in the dark.

I know this because I have got up occasionally to keep my eye on him through the bedroom door. He does all of this stark naked so I usually just keep an ear out for him now.

I can't figure out why I have to give him directions to the bathroom most of the time even in broad daylight and when he is wide awake but in the dead of night he goes straight there like a homing pigeon.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
The danger with mum is that she's had one hip replaced several years ago, but the other hip is extremely weak, and could go at any time. That's really why she needs the support.

New baby looks almost exactly like his brother did when he was born! Same full head of thick dark hair! They could actually see his hair on her last scan!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Lovely news @LadyA

I can still remember the photo of your first grandson. He was gorgeous. I can`t believe he is nearly 3.

Now you have a new addition. It`s as well your mum isn`t as poorly as you feared.