Hello again from Rathbone

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Love to you dear TP friends, how I have missed you all! Our journeys took us far and wide, but there is truly no place like home. G says he is never going away again. Today he shared with me the various writings he has been making since he was diagnosed. He was worried that I would be upset by what he has written, but I found it strangely uplifting because it is just as though I am talking to the wonderful man I met and married and who I have known deep down inside is in there somewhere. It has encouraged me and delighted him, for sure. His complete insight into the way this disease is taking him away bit by bit is awful and wonderful at the same time if that makes any sense at all. The wonder is that we are able to share each others observations for now while he is still able to articulate how he feels, most of the time. And it means that I can share with him the bits he is not aware of which surprise and upset him, but he still wants to know. We both believe that while we have this opportunity, we must take it to build a foundation for later when things change. It draws us closer if that is possible - we have always been joined at the hip!
I am catching up slowly with everyone's threads and send you all my love as ever. Holding each and every one of you in the Light. X Shelagh:)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've often thought of you these past months while typing on my trusty iPad and wondered when you'd be back! Lovely to see you here and welcome back! Just when we are leaving on holiday...

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Thank you so much. Have a wonderful time. Catch up soon. Beate Love x :)
And LadyA - go to bed NOW!!! X That"s an order. X:)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Shelagh-a big hello it's so good to have you back again. You have been missed. Please tell us about your travels when you have time. You and G sound happy:)

Love,

Lyn T XX

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Shelagh-a big hello it's so good to have you back again. You have been missed. Please tell us about your travels when you have time. You and G sound happy:)

Love,

Lyn T XX

A big welcome back from me too :) what you say about G is just what John and I are like :) he is so aware too and we discussed the new Alzheimers ad only a few days ago . Do tell us more about your travels . Just lovely to see you back xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello Shelagh. So nice to see you back here. I've missed your news over recent months.
It's an odd illness, this dementia, isn't it. Your G has so much insight which is wonderful because he can write about his feelings and share them with you, knowing you will understand and empathise. That is so precious.

Others have so little or at least appear to do so but is that perhaps a self-protective shield.
I pray that Dave didn't because he didn't feel able to share with me if he did.
Maybe I put on too positive a front so he didn't feel able to. I hope not but have wondered about it since he died. I was too concentrated on what was happening at the time to think about it before.
So many things I now worry about and regret.

Have you moved yet? Or have you decided not to do so.
I'm glad G was pleased to be home again but I wonder if he will change his mind after some time.
I hope your son is settled into his new home now.

Take care. xxx

Sent from my iPod touch using Talking Point

Last edited:

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Oooh it IS lovely to hear from you all. Thank you so much. This initial contact came from not being able to sleep, which is a blessing in some ways as I was free of time enough to write to you, but now I am feeling yuk from sitting up too long and then exhaustedly slumped in bed - that must have been a pretty sight! Terrible dry mouth means gaping no doubt. Ah the joys of advancing years! G looks fresh as a daisy as he got up too and slept in his chair next to me and didn't stir and didn't have his bedtime dreams as he wasn't IN bed - strange old brain eh? I am dashing about backwards and forwards to builders so we can certainly move into this other flat, Saffie, as G desperately needs the room not to keep bumping into things. Dear Saffie, nothing you could have done with your dear one should have been any different and I am certain you have nothing at all to worry about that you didn't pay attention to. Your love for him is so very apparent and, like I have said before, we do the best we can and if it comes from the heart, NOTHING can be wrong. If Love is the starting point, then all is well.
We came back home to a desperately sad event and needed to spend five days in, and getting to and from, Liverpool to be with our dear friend whose wonderful wife of sixty had just died. She was diagnosed in March and died five weeks later and did niot want us to know while we were away from home as she knew we would try to get back. So much sadness for everyone to manage. Sometimes I think we will sink beneath it all and yet here we still are. Scarlett, Lyn, Di, Verity, Saffie, Alice, Beate, Heike, Sue - all those and more of our wonderful friends here.....we carry on because it is Love which holds us up. And TP, of course. What would any of us do without TP?
Now please don't get anxious anyone if I am an infrequent visitor for now. All will be well when Its finished. We have a buyer for this flat who is trying to change the terms on which I agreed the sale, so that needs to be sorted out - on my mind, but then, what isn"t. You all know how it is. I will be back.
My fond love to you all X Shelagh :)

Last edited:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Welcome home Shelagh! Your TP family have missed you!

But sorry you came home to the sadness of loosing your dear friend’s wife, and her so young.

You sound very busy, good luck with all you have to do.

This is just a brief quickie, I also will be back.

.....we carry on because it is Love which holds us up. And TP, of course. What would any of us do without TP?
How true, Shelagh, how very true….

I read this recently, the words of someone whose lifelong friend has Motor Neuron Disease:

“Love is bigger than any ailment. Whatever the disease has done to them - silent, still - they are still the person you know and love”

With my love
Loo xxx

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Thank you all so much for your lovely welcome back. Up to my eyes right now with the flat renovation and recalcitrant builders. Will be back again asap. Holding you all in the Light every day. Love to you all X Shelagh :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan